Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: finding sites for bees  (Read 3314 times)

Offline turando

• New Bee
finding sites for bees
« on: August 22, 2016, 05:15:40 am »
Does anyone know about keeping bees on state forest?

How do you find sites outside of your own backyard to put sites in (besides asking family and friends) especially larger number of hives? I'd like to expand my number of hives but until I get a place with bigger acreage I'm restricted how many I can do beyond immediate house and family houses.

I was reading up on state forest though still a bit unclear how it all works from the vic gov website. Also just read an article just before someone had 20 hives stolen recently from a state forest in victoria so that's not great to read either.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: finding sites for bees
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 01:14:43 pm »
Do you have any farms in your area? If so start there, especially if they have orchards or rotating flowering crops.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:10:41 pm »
Private property is best. Keep an ear out for anyone you know that has access to rural property. Family, friends, friends of friends, etc.

Offline turando

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:53:33 am »
Well turns out someone we know just bought a huge acreage in Bulla so might check that out especially as it's not too far from where I currently live so would be quite close. Just not sure what flowers around Bulla.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:04:12 pm »
That sounds great. Just remember, your bees normally cover a 2 mile radius from their hive and will go as far as 5 -7 miles if they have to to find food.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything