Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees just swarmed and can see them  (Read 1403 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
bees just swarmed and can see them
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:12 pm »
my bees just swarmed and it was kool. I have and easy excess to them. should I cut the branch and shake them in a new box. need some help here. 1st doing this

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
Re: bees just swarmed and can see them
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:34:13 pm »
I would cut the branch only if I had too. I would try to shake them off the limb into a box if possible. I have had good success spreading a white sheet on the ground, place the box on it & let the stragglers walk in.  Works for me every time.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 01:40:06 pm »
I like to shake them into a new hive body. I put a queen excluder under a super filled with frames and foundation, position it under them put an empty super on top just for room, shake them in and close them up. Leave the QE on a couple of days.  Usually they stay after that.
Later,
Ray

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:49:21 pm »
Add a frame of brood if you have one. It will help anchor them although I have never had that issue often in my area. And feed-feed-feed.
John 3:16

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:09:20 pm »
I got half the bees in my hive box and the rest are covering the hive box. what does this mean.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:43:24 pm »
They're getting acclimated.  Are their butts in the air fanning?  Did you put a frame of open brood in there?  If so smoke them off the sides to force them into the hive box and put the cover on there.  Come back after dark, cork the intake and carry them to whatever location you want them at.  VoilĂ , you've got a new hive.  Without the brood to anchor them there's always the chance the could reissue and disappear for good.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:24 pm »
Quick and Dirty...

Assuming it's not a virgin queen, putting the hive body on a queen excluder will keep her in and let the workers out.  After a few days, she should have started laying and gotten comfortable.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything