Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just had a swarm  (Read 1545 times)

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
Just had a swarm
« on: April 22, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
Looks like they will be setteling down in a tree on our yard. We bought a new box to split but I guess they could not wait for us to put it together.
If anyone wants them they are yours to take. Looks like they are settling in a tree in our yard. We live in Louisville, KY. 502.645.7689

Best,
Sarita

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
Re: Just had a swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:56:39 pm »
why not catch them you were going to split them anyhow

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:28:58 pm »
catch them and place them in your new box.that's an easy split.     ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »
About 15 minutes after they settled in on a tree it stormed. They are still there about 30 feet up.
D.H. put together a box quickly...in hopes that they would figure it out but we've pretty much lost hope.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 08:41:01 pm »
put some drawn comb and some lemongrass oil in there.  they may find it.  if you don't have lemongrass, try lavender, or whatever you can find that will attract them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51:15 pm »
Did id really drum the bees down at buds? I have always wanted to see that done.
John 3:16

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:57:22 pm »
He was tanging away for sure! If that's what made them decide where/when to land???

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 01:49:49 am »
Heya,

I put a outside feeder with sugar water and honey b healthy in there which really smells good.
I feel just awful...they swarmed about 15 minutes before a storm and here comes another big one.

It's been a heck of a day for us birds and bee wise. We had a sick chick that we were fretting over...wild ducks in our koi pond...bees swarming and then a storm...in that order.

As my mom says..."I'll just pray...harder."

We will see...hopefully...maybe they will take the easy way out to a new hive that my husband knocked together in a panic.

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 01:53:43 am »
I'm so sorry...in my distress of the day I very rudely forgot to say thank you for all of your support. It's greatly appreciated.
Hope all is well with everyone.
Best,
Sarita

anything