Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Florida and states north get ready for Dorian.  (Read 4894 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Florida and states north get ready for Dorian.
« on: August 29, 2019, 10:01:51 pm »
We really don?t know where Dorian is going but get your hives ready. I will be strapping my bees to the trailer and the rails and anchoring them down. I will also be getting the house and yard ready. I already checked the generator, ran it and hooked it up.
Bee safe.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Florida and states north get ready for Dorian.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 10:05:19 pm »
We really don?t know where Dorian is going but get your hives ready. I will be strapping my bees to the trailer and the rails and anchoring them down. I will also be getting the house and yard ready. I already checked the generator, ran it and hooked it up.
Bee safe.
Jim Altmiller

Jim I am hoping this thing will take a turn out to sea. But it does not look good. Stay safe.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 12:35:15 am »
Believe it or not, hurricanes affect us in the Ohio Valley. 
Ike destroyed a lot of property in 2008, mine included. 
We get days of heavy rain and strong winds, sometimes destructive winds and hail.  Flooding, power outages, tornado, the works. 

North Georgia depends on hurricanes refilling their parched lakes. 
All part of nature. 
Best of luck to all in Florida. 

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 07:39:52 am »
Staking my hives down today, boarded up Wednesday and finishing my prep today.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:41:08 am »
My wife is in a NY panic.  I remind her this is what you wanted.  Shutters are up on the "new" home.  We are going to hunker down in the old one.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:25 am »
Brian,
I looked up where you are located and where Dorian is going. You are only 13 feet above sea level per what I found. If this hurricane follows the track that they are predicting, with a category 4 hurricane, that puts you under water.
I have been in Florida since 1985. I have ridden out several hurricanes. I DO NOT ride out category 4 hurricane. They move too much water, sea water, and spun too many tornadoes.
Please get out of the way of this thing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:35:40 am »
Brian,
I looked up where you are located and where Dorian is going. You are only 13 feet above sea level per what I found. If this hurricane follows the track that they are predicting, with a category 4 hurricane, that puts you under water.
I have been in Florida since 1985. I have ridden out several hurricanes. I DO NOT ride out category 4 hurricane. They move too much water, sea water, and spun too many tornadoes.
Please get out of the way of this thing.
Jim Altmiller

Jim is right Brian, Please leave. Wishing you the best. Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 12:36:26 pm »
Good luck and stay safe.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 12:53:27 pm »

Staking my hives down today, boarded up Wednesday and finishing my prep today.
p

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 01:12:36 pm »
JC, Jim, Brian, all others in that state; wishing you the best.
Phillip

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 01:21:03 pm »
Will do thanks

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 02:11:15 pm »
At the current predicted track, we should be okay up here, but if Dorian crosses FL and gains strength in the gulf, WNC could be in for a real storm.  Will definitely be keeping tabs on the situation.  Everybody down south stay safe! 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 04:29:40 pm »
We live one hour from Hurricane Michael's Cat 5 damage in Panama City.  The day before, every living creature was edgy.  Frogs climbed up high to windowsills and birdhouses.  I saw few birds, I think they went upland. 
       We closed up & moved our hives into the garage for the duration of the storm.   

In the storm, beeks lost thousands of hives.  Because of flooding, hordes of wasps came up out of the ground and annhiliated surviving colonies there, robbing everything and eating the brood. 

Sustained winds, even at lower velocity here, literally blew pollen and nectar off the plants.  All the feral bees were hungry and robbing...HANGRY. 

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 09:18:32 pm »
Been getting ready over here by Port Orange. Strapped the hives down yesterday and spent today putting up plywood. Got my generator, 20 gallons of gas and plenty of water. So far they are calling for a Cat 2 in my area so I'll hunker down and sit it out. Expecting to loose power for a few days.
   The wife was asking about what would be the cutoff for evacuation, Cat 3 or Cat 4. A Cat 4 would time to beat feet and wouldn't want to be anywhere near a Cat 5.  Be safe out there.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2019, 01:12:10 am »
Been getting ready over here by Port Orange. Strapped the hives down yesterday and spent today putting up plywood. Got my generator, 20 gallons of gas and plenty of water. So far they are calling for a Cat 2 in my area so I'll hunker down and sit it out. Expecting to loose power for a few days.
   The wife was asking about what would be the cutoff for evacuation, Cat 3 or Cat 4. A Cat 4 would time to beat feet and wouldn't want to be anywhere near a Cat 5.  Be safe out there.

Beeboy, What is your elevation above sea level?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 05:36:07 am »
Beeboy,
According to Wikipedia, you are only 3 feet, .9 meters above sea level. Unless you are in an unusually high location, I would but out if I were you. Besides the storm surge, they are expecting large amounts of rain, especially along the coast. Were talking about 12 to 20 inches.
I?m at 100 feet above sea level and my houses are at almost the highest locations here at the farm. During hurricane Michael we had 10 inches of rain in just a few hours. My pond was 8 inches above the point where it overflows and runs out of the pipe. It overflows into my front yard and even with an 8 inch drain pipe that goes to the creek, the yard was flooded to the point that it was running across the driveway. If my house was not 2 feet above ground, I would have had flooding even though I am almost at the highest point in the area.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 05:53:45 am »
Sitting right off my porch- got what I can strapped down
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 06:02:07 am »
My wife is in a NY panic.  I remind her this is what you wanted.  Shutters are up on the "new" home.  We are going to hunker down in the old one.

I tried to reach out to you about visiting- if we have bees left - good luck Port St. Lucie here
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 06:02:35 am »
Turning north
It?s up to me