Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sourwood honey.  (Read 4776 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Sourwood honey.
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 06:55:33 pm »
Nice !! Congratulations 🎈
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »
I got almost 6 qts. of sourwood from the shallow I pulled.  Many of the frames were not fully drawn, but all but one of them were fully capped.  It is absolutely gorgeous, delicious honey.   :tongue:  Here's a picture of a jar.  The camera makes the color a little more golden than it is in real life.  It's light honey, not overly viscous, and it has sort of a lavender-colored undertone.  It has none of that heavy clover honey taste.

Just send that quart to me and I will pour half into another container and send the rest to Mr Van haa haa J/K LOL
Enjoy your honey!
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 12:30:01 am »
I got almost 6 qts. of sourwood from the shallow I pulled.  Many of the frames were not fully drawn, but all but one of them were fully capped.  It is absolutely gorgeous, delicious honey.   :tongue:  Here's a picture of a jar.  The camera makes the color a little more golden than it is in real life.  It's light honey, not overly viscous, and it has sort of a lavender-colored undertone.  It has none of that heavy clover honey taste.

Just send that quart to me and I will pour half into another container and send the rest to Mr Van haa haa J/K LOL
Enjoy your honey!
Phillip
Hmmm. . .  Why is it that you want me to send a jar to you, and then have you send some to Mr. Van, when I could just as easily send Mr. Van some myself?  I think you have designs to keep all the honey for yourself, both your half of the jar, and Mr. Van?s!   :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 03:51:29 am »
Wow, 15th!  That's very nice honey!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 07:50:01 am »

Enjoy your honey!
Phillip
Hmmm. . .  Why is it that you want me to send a jar to you, and then have you send some to Mr. Van, when I could just as easily send Mr. Van some myself?  I think you have designs to keep all the honey for yourself, both your half of the jar, and Mr. Van?s!   :cheesy:

😁😁😁.   Why member, How could you think such a thing....😁😁😁 LOL.  .  I would not leave my buddy out, It would give me a good excuse to make a visit... I have wound up with 5 gallons also, (regular honey, no sour wood), and wasn?t trying for honey this year, splits was my goal. This is encouraging as next season I will set aside a few hives just for honey and splitting the rest.
Phillip

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2019, 10:46:27 am »
>I have wound up with 5 gallons also, (regular honey, no sour wood), and wasn?t trying for honey this year, splits was my goal. This is encouraging as next season I will set aside a few hives just for honey and splitting the rest.
Phillip

Be careful.  That's what I said a few years ago and I now have just under 90 hives. :wink:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 07:41:07 pm »
Member - congratulations, that looks beautiful!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 12:45:26 am »
Thanks for all the congratulations everyone.  :grin:

How long does the Sourwood tree bloom?
You asked this a little while ago, Phillip. I?m going to venture to say that the trees in my area are almost done. There are still some flowers on them, and some of the bumble bees are still on them, but I don?t think there are enough open flowers or nectar remaining for the honey bees to be interested anymore. I say this because my bees are starting to act a little dearthy I think. They are getting a little testier, they?ve stopped drawing wax like they were, and they are checking out the old mushy blueberries on the blueberry bushes which I?m pretty sure is a sign of a dearth, since they?d be more interested in flowers if there were any.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 01:29:35 am »
Thanks for the information Member. I bet that your family is proud of you and your bees 🐝 for bringing in that good honey!! 😊😁
Phillip

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 11:37:17 am »

Evidently there are a few more trees around me. I found two more on my neighbor yesterday while cutting cedar. Knocked a limb out of one. Once I saw the seeds it jogged my memory some. I?ve seen these before around. I just didn?t know what they were. Everywhere I go now since I got bees I?m looking at what?s blooming or what already had. And what?s fixing to.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 05:35:18 pm »

I love the colors of bees
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 06:38:49 pm »
Just to follow up, I ended up pulling a couple more sourwood frames from another hive, and so I ended up with 10 qts. of sourwood for this year.  Not bad for my first honey harvest!   :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:14 pm »
Just to follow up, I ended up pulling a couple more sourwood frames from another hive, and so I ended up with 10 qts. of sourwood for this year.  Not bad for my first honey harvest!   :grin:

That was awesome!

anything