Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi everyone. Buddying new beekeeper from Melbourne australia  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Pala

• New Bee
hi guys,

Just registered with the site today and wanting to just say hi.
I'm from Frankston south in Melbourne, have just purchased my first flow hive and am awaiting delivery of a new colony in September.

I have a huge yard with a ridiculous amount of flowers (previous owner created a jungle), spent some time the past few days making them a nice little home in the front yard, and will be staining and painting the hive when it arrives tomorrow.

Attached is a pic/video of where I plant to be putting my hive.

Any tips or recommendations on the spot? I plan to have the entrance pointing towards the trees which is a northerly direction, not towards the fences you can see.

Any helps appreciated guys.

Thanks again

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hi everyone. Buddying new beekeeper from Melbourne australia
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:43 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:33:30 am »
hi guys,

Just registered with the site today and wanting to just say hi.
I'm from Frankston south in Melbourne, have just purchased my first flow hive and am awaiting delivery of a new colony in September.

I have a huge yard with a ridiculous amount of flowers (previous owner created a jungle), spent some time the past few days making them a nice little home in the front yard, and will be staining and painting the hive when it arrives tomorrow.

Attached is a pic/video of where I plant to be putting my hive.

Any tips or recommendations on the spot? I plan to have the entrance pointing towards the trees which is a northerly direction, not towards the fences you can see.

Any helps appreciated guys.

Thanks again

Hi Pala, as a fellow member I welcome you. Beautiful picture! Love it!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 07:05:06 am »
Front yard could be an issue if any of their flight paths cross any public walkways, passers by may complain to your local council etc.

Make sure you get registered as a beekeeper if you haven?t already, I believe it?s free in VIC.

https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/livestock-and-animals/honey-bees/hobby-beekeeping

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 05:55:08 pm »
Welcome. I hope your beekeeping startup goes great.
Most people in my area keep the hives facing east. Our rain storms (and winter winds) tend to come from the west, and that drives rain into a west facing entrance.
Then there is also the issue of facing the entrance away from close by people areas.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 12:23:07 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:10 am »
Front yard could be an issue if any of their flight paths cross any public walkways, passers by may complain to your local council etc.

Make sure you get registered as a beekeeper if you haven?t already, I believe it?s free in VIC.

https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/livestock-and-animals/honey-bees/hobby-beekeeping
Yes free in Vic for up to five hives. So i am going to try and set up an extra 3 hives this year...
Maybe I should register the Mrs as well and have 10! Ha ha ha

Offline Pala

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 06:21:17 am »

Thanks for the responses guys. Since my post I have already decided the one hive isn't enough and im now up to 4 hives on order. Haha.

The one in my front yard, the entrance is facing away from the front fence. We also have a nature strip that don't have any footpaths. So any walkers are on the actual rd.  The front fence is also 1.5m in height so im expecting the girls so be above head height if they choose to do a U turn when exiting. The other three are going to be on a local organic farm where i can have access when ever needed. Ive also registered all the hives and have joined a club with public liability insurance.

For someone starting up have I covered all the right aspects so far?
Obviously been doing alot of reading, YouTube etc. And plan to do a course once covid and our city lockdown has ended

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 06:49:04 am »
Sounds like you're on top of everything now you just need bees  :happy:

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 08:28:27 am »
Sounds like you are studying beekeeping. Just keep up the learning and reading. It slowly falls into place for us new beeks.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:22:54 pm »
Welcome Pala

Your doing well! I look forward to your updates.

When I started I only got one hive, down the track I got a second
And paid for a second nuc! Shortly after that I had to split my first hive....bees multiply!! I soon realised I didnt need to buy that second nuc.

You have 4 hives.

You now have a choice: 4 nucs / packages or ....buy
two nucs and established two hives. Next spring, or when they need splitting you have the bees for the other two hives.

Just thought I would share this with you as splitting is often required at some stage, is a good learning curve and saves you hundreds of dollars....its fun too!

Something else for you to ponder.

Offline Pala

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 06:50:29 pm »
Welcome Pala

Your doing well! I look forward to your updates.

When I started I only got one hive, down the track I got a second
And paid for a second nuc! Shortly after that I had to split my first hive....bees multiply!! I soon realised I didnt need to buy that second nuc.

You have 4 hives.

You now have a choice: 4 nucs / packages or ....buy
two nucs and established two hives. Next spring, or when they need splitting you have the bees for the other two hives.

Just thought I would share this with you as splitting is often required at some stage, is a good learning curve and saves you hundreds of dollars....its fun too!

Something else for you to ponder.

Hey bee North,
Thanks for the reply.
By hive I actually meant I have 4 x 8 frame colonies on order. Sorry for the confusion.

As they r going to be pretty well established, I presume that next spring I should be able to split most if not all of the colonies if they are doing well?

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 07:08:33 pm »
Ok.....thanks for the clarification.

Yes you sure will!

Enjoy your bees.

Offline Skeggley

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 07:37:14 pm »
Hiya pala, are you aware of how much work 4 colony?s are?
Probably more than I would recommend for a newbee. Two is a better number imo.

Offline Pala

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 08:36:37 pm »

I understand its going to be abit of work and its going to be a steep learning curve, but its something I've been wanting to do for many years and have finally got the time and energy to devote into it. I was in a vehicle accident afew yrs ago, and am unable to work my normal career so I have the time, and im hoping in a 1-2yrs ill be able to turn a hobby into abit of a business. I have afew ideas im currently researching.

I have also been offered a mentor from the local club who actually only lives 2 streets away and has 5 hives, who is more than happy to come around n help show me the ropes.

I know ive bitten off alot, but I think im taking the right path to be able o handle it.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 09:13:23 pm »

I understand its going to be abit of work and its going to be a steep learning curve, but its something I've been wanting to do for many years and have finally got the time and energy to devote into it. I was in a vehicle accident afew yrs ago, and am unable to work my normal career so I have the time, and im hoping in a 1-2yrs ill be able to turn a hobby into abit of a business. I have afew ideas im currently researching.

I have also been offered a mentor from the local club who actually only lives 2 streets away and has 5 hives, who is more than happy to come around n help show me the ropes.

I know ive bitten off alot, but I think im taking the right path to be able o handle it.

With your attitude you will do just fine. Wishing you the best.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything