Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractor Experiences  (Read 2106 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Extractor Experiences
« on: March 04, 2020, 01:04:50 pm »
For those of you who are experienced and seasoned beekeepers. I would like to ask you about your experiences with different types of extractors. There seems to be a diversity when it comes to extractors. During your growth stages, what type of extractor did you start out with, and what type of extractor have you graduated too? Are you happy with your latest extractor? They say hind sight is 2020. If you had it to do over again what type or brand extractor would you choose instead of the one you have invested in as of now?  I feel sure that these questions will not only benefit me, but many other up-and-coming beekeepers would also appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Phillip Hall

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: Extractor Experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 06:10:09 pm »
You have to decide where you want to end up in your bee enterprise.
We have a saying that what ever you are deciding to acquire in bees, double what you think and you may be close.
We went from a 2 frame, hand driven to a 78 frame programmed extractor. Purchased second hand with an uncapper and frame tray for a very low price. We only had 43 hives at that stage but knew we wanted to get into the industry on a full time basis.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 08:22:45 pm »
You have to decide where you want to end up in your bee enterprise.
We have a saying that what ever you are deciding to acquire in bees, double what you think and you may be close.
We went from a 2 frame, hand driven to a 78 frame programmed extractor. Purchased second hand with an uncapper and frame tray for a very low price. We only had 43 hives at that stage but knew we wanted to get into the industry on a full time basis.

Thank you Oldbeavo. I like what you described. I can always count of you for wise advise. I am looking realistically looking for the prospect of 75 to 100 hives, on down the road.  Following your wise advice, that may someday turn into 150 to 200.
I am just curious and would like to ask, there in Australia, how did you find your commercial set up? It seems that if a person could find such a set up, reasonably priced it would make better sense to go your route than buying new, spending big bucks for less bang.

Phillip Hall
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:00:37 pm »
This is a good idea - can people chime in with what they did?
I am a member of a local club, so i have borrowed their extractor and a stainless sink/uncapper station which is *really* handy for me! (unfortunately is looks like i 'jumped the gun' and the 6 frames i thought would be ready by this week are not nearly ready on the back, one side is good to go, but too many uncapped on the reverse! Oh well, live and learn...)

Who has bought the cheapy cheapy Chinese made extractors and love them? Who bought them and they only lasted one season? - due to upgrading or poor equipment??
Not interested in "this brand is bad - dont buy it", but would love some "i bought this and its fantastic" or even better "i should have done this"

Who uses a manual extractor and doesnt care? who upgraded to an electric and would never go back?
I only have a couple hives, so not looking at commercial size so much, but you smaller beek's must have experience to teach us new-bee's!
Cheers

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:31:51 pm »
To start with, I bought the Mannlake 3/6 SS manual extractor. It has worked for 4 yrs now. I don't mind the exercise. The price wasn't bad. Quality matched the price. I think I made the right decision by buying a little above what I thought I'd need, at that time.

If I had 100 (or more) production hives, I'd want a much larger setup. ... and some electricity.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 05:28:49 am »
The best way to find second hand gear is talk to the manufacturers who make the larger equipment and ask who is upgrading and what have they done with their smaller plant.
That's how we found ours.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 10:34:39 am »
The best way to find second hand gear is talk to the manufacturers who make the larger equipment and ask who is upgrading and what have they done with their smaller plant.
That's how we found ours.

Thank you

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »
I found a 3/6 manual stainless steel extractor from kelleys at an auction for $100.  Been using it for at least 5 years.  It can be a work out but since I don't harvest much more that 10-15 gallons at a time it has worked out for me. 

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 03:36:18 pm »
I started with a Dadent 12/6 electric. 
Fine for 20-60 hives.
Easy resale or back up if necessary.
I also have a 2 frame Mann Lake cheapy for teaching and loan to beginners.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 02:46:38 pm »
My first year, I took my supers to a guy that charged to extract frames. He had a 4 frame tangiel sp motorized extractor. Right away I knew that I wanted a large motorized radial extractor. I bought a 9/18 Mann Lake motorized extractor. It is big enough but not to big to move and store.
It has worked well processing 500 pounds of honey in a few hours. Decapping takes most of the time.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 02:55:02 am »
I found a 3/6 manual stainless steel extractor from kelleys at an auction for $100.

Wow, good find!
As i (currently) only have the two hives i think a smaller start would suit, thinking of a 4 frame electric, but they are not cheap down here is Aus! (or they are the cheaper made Chinese ones which *might* be okay..)

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 07:25:49 am »
If I only had 2 hives I would use plastic foundation and scrape and strain the few frames I would be extracting at any time.
Take then out, scrape them and they are back in the hive in a few minutes, no stickies to deal with and you don't need spare frames.
 $2 scraper and a $3 spaghetti strainer, lot less than an extractor.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 09:43:51 am »
If I only had 2 hives I would use plastic foundation and scrape and strain the few frames I would be extracting at any time.
Take then out, scrape them and they are back in the hive in a few minutes, no stickies to deal with and you don't need spare frames.
 $2 scraper and a $3 spaghetti strainer, lot less than an extractor.

OldBeavo this is the method I used past season. Except I did not have plastic foundations.  My foundation less was supposed by fishing lines. This worked out fine, plastic would be better.
Phillip Hall
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:57:39 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 06:32:34 pm »
I did crush and strain from 1974 until about 2002 or so.  Then I bought a radial 9/18 motorized extractor that was on sale at the time from Mann Lake.  I've never regretted waiting until I could afford one that was worth the trouble to use it.  It is just small enough to fit through the door to get it in my kitchen and big enough to handle two supers or slightly more.  It will extract 9 deeps or 18 mediums.  Anything bigger wouldn't fit through my door.  Anything smaller would be frustrating.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything