Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Cakes - Organization/OCD. Your call !  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
Sugar Cakes - Organization/OCD. Your call !
« on: October 01, 2020, 05:28:11 pm »
Not sure if this post belongs in general forum, equipment forum . . . or the trash.

This time of year the winter feeding/sugar cake related posts start. For most folks, once you have a recipe and procedure that works for you there isn?t a problem ? as long as you remember your recipe/procedure from one year to the next.

To help me remember, I used a marker to write the recipe on the bottom of the pans I use as the sugar cake mold. This Dollar Tree store pan holds 4 pounds of sugar when filled to top edge and when scored into quarters lets me track feed in 1 pond increments. The pans are reused from year to year so the recipe and procedure as handy as the pans.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Sugar Cakes - Organization/OCD. Your call !
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:57:20 am »
Good idea thanks for sharing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 11:36:22 am »
Not sure if this post belongs in general forum, equipment forum . . . or the trash.

This time of year the winter feeding/sugar cake related posts start. For most folks, once you have a recipe and procedure that works for you there isn?t a problem ? as long as you remember your recipe/procedure from one year to the next.

To help me remember, I used a marker to write the recipe on the bottom of the pans I use as the sugar cake mold. This Dollar Tree store pan holds 4 pounds of sugar when filled to top edge and when scored into quarters lets me track feed in 1 pond increments. The pans are reused from year to year so the recipe and procedure as handy as the pans.

Good idea thanks for sharing.
Jim Altmiller

I agree with Jim good idea. This looks like the disposable type trays used for baking etc. How do you score them into one pound cakes without damaging the pan? Does the solid 4 pound cake dump in one easy piece? Or does it hang in the folds of the molded sides of the pan? Thanks
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 07:24:16 pm »
Scoring is done right after packing the mold and the sugar is still damp. A butter knife, thin flat spatula, etc. is pressed down into the sugar.   
After some dry time, inverting the pan lets the sugar drop right out.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 11:45:34 pm »
Scoring is done right after packing the mold and the sugar is still damp. A butter knife, thin flat spatula, etc. is pressed down into the sugar.   
After some dry time, inverting the pan lets the sugar drop right out.

Thanks Dabbler!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything