Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Who Grows their own Coffee?  (Read 4617 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Who Grows their own Coffee?
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:52:20 am »
Who grows their own coffee?

The last few years I have been getting a crop from my 1 tree.... but it sure is labour intensive to make coffee out of the beans.

Just took about 3 gallons of cherries off the tree and starting the process.

Any short cuts?

Mick

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: Who Grows their own Coffee?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:36:46 am »
I can't believe that in a great nation of coffee drinkers, no one from this forum grows their own coffee :roll:

Mick

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:28:56 am »
Never thought to try. Didn't even know it would grow here.
Alfred

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:38:36 am »
If it would grow here you bet I would be doing it.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:58:07 am »
I did read in the paper this week that more and more people are growing their own tobacco. Higher taxes are forcing people to grow and roll their own.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 12:15:53 pm by asprince »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 12:04:20 pm »
I have considered researching the possibility of growing coffee here, but I don't think it will grow here...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 12:10:34 pm »
We actually have a wild coffee that grows here in Florida. The berries are quite small and I understand they're not really worth the effort of harvesting. I do grow my own tea though.
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25:46 pm »
I have recently planted some non-hybrid coffee seeds, just waited for them to emerge (if I haven't under or over watered them  :-\

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:29:40 pm »
I've considered growing my own coffee, but after thinking about it I doubted it would be worth the time and effort. I have one parent that works for Nestle's coffee producing plant, and another parent that works for Green Mountain Coffee company (don't ask). Between the two, I've realized that drying, roasting, and curing coffee beans just isn't practical for any one individual to do.

We actually have a wild coffee that grows here in Florida. The berries are quite small and I understand they're not really worth the effort of harvesting. I do grow my own tea though.
Scott

Interesting. What kinds of tea do you grow? Is it worth it?