Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Taters or Potatoes  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
Taters or Potatoes
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »
Ronniger Potato Farm LLC  http://www.ronnigers.com/index.html
I didnt know there were so many different taters grown here in the states.
I got Ronniger Potato Farm catolog in the mail it may be a little late to plant taters here now but there some great information in the catalog.
 Anyway I planted the standard white tatters and red taters this spring all are up doing good so far.
Has anyone ever ordered from them before? Id like to try some different tatters next year. The blue tatters look interesting ,I might just try some of them....
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Taters or Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:35:39 pm »
For a fall crop of Irish potatoes plant in July in your and my area.
Potatoes are big like what you would slice french fries  or boil whole for potato salad.
Taters are the small ones from the same source as the big ones. size runs from marble size to ping pong, golf ball size. Deep fry whole with skin on, and when they float they are done. Just like hush puppies do.

Didn't know I knew something about cooking too, did you?
I cook my corn bread in a 10/11inch iron skillet. Yum, yum.
doak :)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »
I planted red taters this year. If it will stop raining and dry off a little I will dig the rest. So far I have dug half and have harvested close to 100 lbs. I make my friends and family happy. My squash and cukes are just coming in. My sweet corn will be ready in a couple of weeks.

Doak, I did not know that you could plant taters in July for a fall harvest. Thanks for the info. How are your matters coming along?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:04:00 pm »
Hey doak
Any good southerner knows you cook corn bread in cast iron skillet. But youins forgot the cracklin's  :? And you drank corn from a jug  :-D
 Well reckon I need to put in another row of tatters next month  :-D

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:21:47 pm »
This year I'm trying something new.  I planted potatoes in our garden up in Maine.  We don't use that garden, because there are too many deer, but I found out they don't eat potatoes!  So, we're giving it a shot.  If it works out I'll be a Maine Potato Farmer every year, I love fresh, homegrown potatoes!  I've got an assortment up there, reds, blues, Yukon Gold, Swedish Peanut, I can't remember them all.  Down here I've got Banana Fingerlings, French Fingerlings (I love fingerling taters, they are delish!) and Yukon Golds.  Hopefully next season I won't take up garden space here with potatoes.

Here's a shot of the garden, and me planting the potatoes:

Greg keeps the garden open, so I might as well use it as much as I can without feeding the deer!  I've also brought up some plants I know the bees will enjoy.  I planted Datura and Borage in the garden, too, we'll see if they end up as deer salad.  I think the Datura is safe, but that Borage tastes like cucumber......

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:31:41 pm »
Hey Ann
Thats one nice lookin tatter patch. If it ever stops raining long enough here Ill get you a picture of the one row of tatters and a 5x5 box of tatters. Im a row croper never planted a garden in a box so I figured my wife and I  give it a shot so far so good. I think we are up to 5 boxes now.
Little John

Winston Churchill

Caesar men cheered :

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:43:03 pm »
I have used Ronnigers only when I wanted a potato that I couldn't get from Wood prairie farm in Maine.
I really like Wood Prairie Farm, small family run business and its run ver well.
The plants from both places are doing well, I can't believe how fast my potatoes have grown.
I planted them all around the end of april and the beginning of may and today they are two feet tall or taller.
I have been adding soil to cover them as they grow and today was the last day I plan on heaping soil on and will let them grow out and flower now.
I used 6 inch wood frames and piled them on top of each other as the plants grew some have 3 frames on and some have 4.
I think the laRatte fingerlings and the peruvian purple seem to be the most prolific this year for me.
I planted 13 varieties this year,yukons, fingerlings, red, blue purple, yellow, white etc. and can't wait to see what my harvest looks like.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 11:49:12 pm »
Yes on the cracklings.
But I haven't had corn from the bottle in 12 + years, more power to those who can. I can't.

As for the deer eating potatoes. Maybe not Irish potatoes, but it's a different story with sweet potatoes/ Yams if you prefer. They will eat the plant and dig the roots out and eat those too. :roll: :)doak

P.S. for real.

Offline wisconsin_cur

• House Bee
    • The Back Porch Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 08:46:13 am »
I have used Ronnigers only when I wanted a potato that I couldn't get from Wood prairie farm in Maine.
I really like Wood Prairie Farm, small family run business and its run ver well.

I also have had good luck with wood prairie.  This year will be the first that we get to eat a lot of our harvest since for the last two years I have just used the harvest to add to what I could plant the next year.  The difference between a home grown potato and store bought is as great as the difference in tomatoes, apples or anything else.

I like the King Henry for pest control but they are all good. 
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch