Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first garden since I was 17yrs. old  (Read 3105 times)

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
My first garden since I was 17yrs. old
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:21:20 am »
Hey everyone this is going to be my first year with a garden since I was 17 I am now 43 hehe.  I live in the city so I will be confined to a plot that is 15' x 6' and I am thinking of making a raised bed garden that will be like 3' x 2' and a few things that I will put in pots.  In the raised bed I was thinking of planting strawberries and I was wondering how far apart should I plant them so that I know how many plants to pick up in a couple of weeks.  Also last year I planted an apple tree and was wondering if I could plant some strawberries under it too, since it is still very small thanks. 

P.S. the beehive is going over in the 15' x 6' area I just hope I don't get stung gardening hehe (and when I say "I" I really mean my wife :evil:)

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My first garden since I was 17yrs. old
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:26:06 am »
there are smaller varieties of strawberries that are made for pots.  you might want to look for those.  you can plant under the apple tree but remember that strawberries will spread out and they produce better after the first year.  if you don't intend to leave them under the tree long term, you probably shouldn't start them there.  you have a lot of  options with strawberries.  you can do them in hanging pot, deck pots, etc. and they will do fine.  when you pot them, you can put them close together because they are not going to be able to do much spreading anyway.  6" or so between.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:21:59 pm »
My neighbor thinks I'm nuts, but I planted corn, beans, and 3 different kinds of squash together (It's an old native American trick) the beans feed the corn, the squash shades the roots, and the corn acts as a trellis for the beans. (you get 3 times the crop in the same space) - I had some nitrogen troubles, and it takes a little bit more water because of the "crowding".
I still had to add more nitrogen cuz the soil isn't built up yet, but it's getting there.
 :) best of luck with however you decide to go about it.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:48:49 am »
They suggest that you plant strawberries 12 inches apart, I have them in a raised bed and do the square foot gardening method so I planted them closer together.
If you plant borage in with the strawberries its suppose to help them produce better and taste better, plus bees LOVE borage.
I also do the companion planting which is great if you are limited on space.
I utilize every inch of soil I have, using the square foot gardening and the companion planting together.
I have 25 raised beds and it works great for me.
The companion planting is what bee happy was referring to only the squash, beans and corn is referred to as the three sisters garden.
There are many other things that can be planted together that support each other.
Also, if you are looking to save space go vertical on all that you can.
Most any vining vegetable can be grown on a trellis.
I grow all of my squash, cucumbers and beans on trellis, teepees or obelisks in the garden and you can plant other things around them.
For strawberries I just saw this method online of growing them in pvc pipes that are cut in half lengthwise hung on a fence around the garden, you plant the strawberries (I have seen lettuce and spinach also) in the hollowed out section.
It looked pretty neat and saves space but I have no idea how safe the materials are to grow food in, then again I imagine drinking out of plastic bottles is probably no different.