Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen is slow to refill brood chamber  (Read 1372 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Queen is slow to refill brood chamber
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:22:39 pm »
Hi, I'm from central MN. I have a few hives that make me question if the queen is ok. I made some splits this spring and requeened the hives. The hives I'm concerned , were very strong, having two deeps, that were full of sealed brood. As I did  some hive inspections today, I found that the bees are back filling what is now hatched brood cells. I went through and found the queen in both cases, but they have very little sign of eggs or new larva. These queens were virgin queens this spring. I'm wondering  if I should requeen or let them be. There is no sign of supercedure in progress. I'm worried that the frames will be full of honey and there will be no room for a brood chamber.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Queen is slow to refill brood chamber
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:10 pm »
Give them room! Add a super. Your flow is on.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:41:04 pm »
Leechmann, Our flow is just starting in St. Cloud I would think you would be about a week behind us. If the hive feels the queen isn't laying up to par they will start supersedure cells. Did you do any inspections between now and when you did your splits and did you install virgin queens or did you let them raise their own?
Tim

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:11:19 pm »
ditto hardwood.  if they are backfilling the brood nest it's because they need more room for brood and honey.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:00 pm »
Brood reduction and back filling the brood nest could be a sign that they are about to start swarm prep.
But I could be wrong. Could be a failing queen and the bees have no brood to feed so they are filling the brood nest.  Pull the old queen put her in a nuc if she continues to lay she can produce brood to help other hives. Let them raise a new one, should solve the problem no matter which it is.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.