Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Surprise  (Read 1827 times)

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Thanksgiving Surprise
« on: November 26, 2011, 12:45:58 pm »
The Monday before Thanksgiving (Oct. 24 in the US) one of our hives were do short cleansing flights and all was well (we thought.)  Weeks ago the drowns were kicked out and there was peace in the land.

Yesterday, Friday, there was peace and quiet in the hive - to much quiet. A quick peek inside revealed all the tenants had up and gone leaving twenty + frames full of honey. There was no cold snap, no signs of pests and no sign of stress, only about a dozen workers. Further inspection revealed no queen cells and only about a dozen caped brood cells, every other brood cell was empty. Another nearby hive had a lot of flying workers and they would not have anything to do with me or my workers being around them. We closed up the hive and put the empty brood frames ~ 18 in the freezer. Somewhere there are about 30 - 40 thousand workers on the road to somewhere for the weekend.

Just not a normal Thanksgiving for us. I hope everyone else enjoyed the holiday.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Thanksgiving Surprise
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:39:46 pm »
They left out in a hurry leaving everything behind.   You must have been a real mean landlord.  The brood that was in the hive, was it worker or drone brood?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:41:28 am »
Was there any dead bees left on floor or did they all just disapear?  The abandoned honey excludes robbing as a cause.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »
The little brood that was left was worker. We hid the honey so the other bees would not think of starting to rob the abandoned hive. We have had swarms before but never this late, never without warning and never a complete lose. I could not have done better if I used a bee vac.

I understand the landlord offered free rent for the winter but the bees wanted a reduction in rent since the super committee botched the task they were given. The feds. might send in an arbitrator.  :flyingpig:  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 01:55:04 pm »
Even a late swarm would have left bees, especially with so much honey.  IMO it was not a swarm that abandoned your hive.

Failure was their job on the 'stupor' committee.  They did it well :-\.

thomas

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:37:15 pm »
Much has been written about so called 'late swarms' that get reported every year for as long as I care to remember.  Before it was all about "I say she say" sort of an affair and not many of the beeks would believe what I have been writing/telling them for years.
As of late, this occurrence was observed and later studied, so now the scientific community agrees and supports what was before only anecdotal evidence at best...

Bees, for one reason or another, usualy only known to them, know that their survival through winter is in question and they collectively decide to leave the hive and join up with another (usualy with mutual consent, as it were)  Cause for such a move can be loss of queen, new virgin queen, sickness of one sort or another, bad smell in the hive, unpleasant medicines, mouse pee and all bunch of other things that could disturb the hive to such a degree that they see no other way but to abscond.
Absconding, such as it in reality is has been noticed by very few beeks and in most part only swarms are seen.  So called swarms are reported, discussed with peers and nothing further is done about it.  Departing bees usualy enter the new home within minutes and nobody is the wiser.
In the countries of Europe, where bees are kept in bee-houses and hives are tightly stacked side by side and 3 rows high, such exodus is more often than not done on foot and at night.  They simply depart, walk over to the new hive and enter.  No fighting and no fuss is evident or reported. That is why I say that all affair, strange as it may seem to us, goes largely unnoticed.

Strange but true my friends. . .

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 06:05:53 pm »
Trot; you've been missed.  Glad your back around.  You bring up an intriguing point to ponder that's for sure.  My only reservation is all the honey left behind in the above example.  One would think they'd take as much as possible w/ them, even if just assuming another residence. 

Perhaps the host colony has plenty of honey but room for more bees and thus is more acceptant?  Very interesting.  Thanks again for posting.

thomas

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:11:18 pm »
Thomas, thanks...
Not as young and tough as once was you know.  About a month back almost bought the farm, only my good shape and otherwise excellent health kept them from sending me home to. . . .  If they would a brought me in only half hour later, and on a Sunday to boot, it would have been too late.
And all I thought is that I needed a pill to break the wind? :-D
Tomorrow I start chemo and God knows what and where I go from there...

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:32:38 am »
Sorry to hear you're ailing Trot.  I've been through chemo w/ family and friends (still have a brother being treated).  I'm pretty certain I won't take that direction when/if the time comes, heck I'm ready to go right now :)

That said, there's no envy from me, just good wishes heading your way.

Take care Brother.

thomas

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:51 pm »
Thanks Thomas.
I know it is a tough one but the man has to do what the man has to do.  I am not ready to go and i refuse to give up...  But, God works in mysterious ways, who knows what is in store?

Thanks again, Brother...

Regards,
Trot