Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding 2 4 frame nucs in a queen castle?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline vajerzy

• Brood
Feeding 2 4 frame nucs in a queen castle?
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:38:01 am »
I have 2- 4 frame nucs in a Brushy Mt. queen castle. I wish to winter them over in this box. Can you provide any suggestions on how to feed them through the fall and winter and to place a pollen patty in each nuc? I haven't modified the queen castle in any way. I was going to make a new inner cover and cut a hole in it to accept a boardman feeder bottle and place another hive body on top to enclose the feeders.

Thanks!

Mike

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Feeding 2 4 frame nucs in a queen castle?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:49:42 am »
I don't have the brushy mountain ones, but my own version there of.   The two ways I feed them are a) pour syrup directly into comb, or b) inverted jar over cut-out in inner cover.   If you do b) stagger the jars so they are as far away from the entrance holes as possible.

Granted I don't overwinter in these, I move them to polystyrene nucs.  Your climate is a little warmer than mine, so you may be able to.   Not sure how your are built, but mine have enough clearance between the frame tops and the inner covers to fit a pollen patty.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison