Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Very thirsty bees  (Read 1885 times)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
Very thirsty bees
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:33:26 am »
Ever since it rained a week and a half ago my bees have been buzzing around leaking faucets, and today they were bothering me when a few drops of water were on my water bottle outside. They landed on it and drank up the drops of water. After the rain it got fairly warm again. I don?t know if the behavior is from the recent rain or the fact that I also started feeding them 2:1 sugar water syrup right after the rain. Any thoughts?

Lizzie

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Very thirsty bees
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:44:59 am »
What is the temperature like?  Has there been a drought, other than the recent rain?  Are there any water sources nearby? Foliage / forage available?

Sounds like they are hot or just need water to bring balance to the air conditioner in the hive.  Perhaps put out a water bucket with straw float in it so they can land without drowning and get the water they need to take back to the hive.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:27:44 am »
My father in law always kept a little water fountain near his hives that the bees really liked. It was only about 1 foot tall and it had a very small pump to keep the water moving.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 03:13:27 am »
Mine were doing kinda the same thing the other day.  Not feeding and we've been getting rain.  Sucking up water on glasses, tables, stands and in mud that our dogs created from digging.  They may be looking for various minerals or something, don't know.  They have been going crazy for water.  I normally have water in an entrance feeder for them, but I didnt this year...temp has been 60's. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline LizzieBee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 02:18:38 am »
It?s about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

I filled up a small chicken water feeder and put rocks around the feeding tray. It?s right next to the hive and the bees are using it but still attending the faucets around the house.

Lizzie

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 02:24:52 am »
They may be trying to deal with and issue and are after chlorine.  Try a teaspoon of chlorine in the that waterer you put out there.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 08:59:37 am »
Bees prefer a water source that they can smell and tell other bees what it smells fine like. They also prefer moving water.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sherry11

• Brood
    • de novo sequencing service
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 12:39:29 am »
I am very interested in bees, i currently work at a biochemistry company(https://www.creative-proteomics.com/services/de-novo-peptides-proteins-sequencing-service.htm), i think i will do more reseaarch on bees.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 02:11:39 am »
I am very interested in bees, i currently work at a biochemistry company(https://www.creative-proteomics.com/services/de-novo-peptides-proteins-sequencing-service.htm), i think i will do more reseaarch on bees.

Good. Welcome to the start of the next 5 decades of your personal obsession.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 10:36:14 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
This is the best forum to learn and ask about bees.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 09:19:56 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
This is the best forum to learn and ask about bees.
Jim

Yes, welcome! You will find some very nice people here, eager to help you as your interest grows, such as answering  questions you may have along with sharing from their learned experiences. There is one fellow here that comes from a family of 7 generations of commercial bee keepers! He has never blurted this out but told me so in a PM. We have bee keeping legends here, know all over the world!  We all seem to learn something from one another. This is my first year beekeeping and most here have been very kind and helpful!!  Best to you Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:56:36 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.