Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aussie Removal Stories  (Read 81419 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Aussie Removal Stories
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2010, 08:38:39 am »
No bees in tht pic, where they all gone?

That was my question but he said that is the back of the hive. There are a lot more arround the front but he was too concerned for his own safety to approach them from that side as they are a bit on the hot side. The photo was also taken on a warm day while alot were on the forage.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2010, 06:47:30 pm »
Massive hive and what appears to be a lot of fresh comb. Even though it may be the back of the hive I would have expected to see a fair amount of activity there.

Mick

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:47 am »
Massive hive and what appears to be a lot of fresh comb. Even though it may be the back of the hive I would have expected to see a fair amount of activity there.

Mick

I'm planning on checking it out on the weekend. If I do get there, I will take some more happy snaps.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 07:42:39 am »
That looks huge Phil! how long has it been there?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2010, 05:29:34 am »
got a funny call tonight at 7pm that went something this.

We had a pleasant enough convo about the bees in his wall/roof. I told him early in the piece that i wasnt his man as i am not a builder etc...but was happy to talk him through it as he was keen not have the bees killed.

Him: So what can you do for me?
me: the only thing i can offer is i could pull it apart and rescue the bees...you are better off calling around to find someone who can do the whole job.
Him: So, what, are you gonna put it back together for nothing?
me: starts laughing, as i said i aint a builder so i cant put it back together at all, but why would you think i would work for nothing?
him: oh well, too bad, its bees and you are supposed to....
me: hang on a sec, you are calling me and interrupting my evening scotch for advice and complaining cos i wont work for free?
him: hangs up

10min later, not realising he had called me again

him: hey my name is X and i have this bee issue, yada yada yada (me listening carefully and smiling to myself)
me: umm yeah you just called me and hung up, but i am still willing to help you
him oh sorry, i didnt mean to ring you back etc
me: its ok, but next time try not to be rude to people who are trying to help you for free in their own time....
him: hangs up

I have his number and could ring him back and tell him he is a dick, but i couldn't be bothered. As my wife says :hope he likes bees"  :-D

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2010, 08:19:38 am »
Pete, I like the way your wife thinks.

I had a client who was a little 'hessitant' to pay once I had taken out the bees. I offered to bring them back.  :evil:

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »
Yeah I hate this "but your supposed to....." or "but you NEED the bees" kinda attitude.

Luckily my current trapout payed me $200 before I had even started!

If I ever have anyone who's 'a little hesitant' or straight up doesn't pay, I already have the plan - a spray bottle of sugar water and lemongrass oil and spray it into every little nook and cranny around the house I can find  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 09:10:29 pm »
Had a similar call the other afternoon as well - the guy offered to let me come around and catch the bee swarm in his tree and he would let me "buy" the bees off him cheap!  It took me a few seconds to realise he wasn't joking.  After I told him that I had enough bees and that I wasn't prepared to buy his at this stage (trying not to be rude), he got a bit shirty with me.  He started asking if I expected him to give me the bees for nothing and he let me know that bees were becoming rare (his words!!) and he knew they were valuable.  I was so shellshocked that I politely told he I didn't need anymore and that he should call someone else.

I wonder why I have blood pressure issues!!

malachii

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »
I picked up a nice swarm a few days back. I was doing a line boring job on a grader in a clients workshop when they told me they had bees just settle into a D10 bulldozer in the yard and they wanted them gone,now. So I went home and got my gear plus a box and some sticky frames. I put the box up against the ripper where the bee's were clustered and as they had started to go into the ripper box through a gap I put smoke in there and drove the bees out. Brushed them into the box and checked them a couple of times through the day but they kept coming out and going back to where they had started laying down comb. I got all that covered up and left them overnight and the following day. I went back a few nights back and they are all in my box bar 2 bees.Just slid the lid over and bought them home and put them onto another weak box I have with a sheet of paper in between. They seem to have settled in OK  so with all the trees in blossom here at present they hopefully will take off good. :)
Perth Western Australia

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 11:20:24 pm »
Removed a trapout hive to the beeyard last week. It's currently 2 nucs on top of each other, so pretty much a full hive.
Seems like thay have a decent amount of honey in there going into winter so hopefully they take off come Spring.
Half way through the trapout I moved the frames from a 4 frame to a 5 frame nuc box, and I'm glad I hung around for a bit because I happened to see a small group of bees on the pavement where I had done the box swapover - and on closer inspection the small group of bees was the queen surrounded by about 10 bees tending to her royal needs. Could have ended badly  :oops:

ML

Offline Monster1970

• New Bee
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »
My son, another Beek from our club and I removed his hive from a tree in a lady's backyard last Saturday. She said it was there for about 6 months, but given the size, we think it had been there a bit longer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.usm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:13:22 pm by Monster1970 »
We have designed our civilization based on science and technology and at the same time arranged things so that almost no one understands anything at all about science and technology. This is a clear prescription for disaster.  

Carl Sagan.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:27 pm »
Holy crap. Nice one mate.
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2011, 08:38:24 pm »
Looks like a bit of fun. Good job.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:45 am »
This cupboard was in the shed, but i still like the look of the hive and the clothes.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2011, 05:35:32 pm »
Imagine that, honey scented clothes, mmmm! :)

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »
My son, another Beek from our club and I removed his hive from a tree in a lady's backyard last Saturday. She said it was there for about 6 months, but given the size, we think it had been there a bit longer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.usm

That's an impressive hive! Where abouts is Brizzy was this one?

Offline Lord Viykor

• House Bee
    • Viykor.com - My adventures in backyard farming
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2011, 06:18:25 am »
This cupboard was in the shed, but i still like the look of the hive and the clothes.

As a newbies to bee keeping that is just amazing, wouldn't have thought they'd get in a wardrobe.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:06 am »
They were so much fun too...so calm and easy to deal with...was awesome job...gave the lady some of her money back because we enjoyed it so much.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2012, 11:43:04 pm »
Tell me when to stop.

Another pic of a really interesting job we did on the weekend. Looks pretty easy but this one was actually very tricky...so many branches and stuff all through the comb and the bees were a bit warms too...copped 3 or 4 stings, a couple right through my suit. Apparently they had been in this tree for at least 12 months....i would guess even longer.

this was in Mornington, about an hour south of Melbourne...pretty darned cold here in winter... surprised they survived.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »
Early start to swarms this year - had 2 swarms already, 1 from my own hive in my own driveway  :lol:
the other a few kms south of me right near my new beeyard.

SHB also getting very active!

Photos to follow....

ML