Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Non-Firearm Home Protection  (Read 12244 times)

salvo

Non-Firearm Home Protection
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:58:04 pm »
Hi Folks,

Not everyone has a firearm for home protection.

What do they/we do?

1. Home alarms (are they "set" when you're in bed?).
2. Keep your car key "remote key-less entry" fob on the nightstand in the bedroom. Hit the panic button when necessary. They're surrounded!
3. Club or some sort of tally-whacker by the bed.
4. Baseball bat, club, cudgel, shillelagh, cane by the doors.
5. Knives. Squishy! Not for everyone. Tough on the rugs.
6. Cell phones by the bed.
7. Fire extinguisher by the bed (good for intruders or, God forbid, fire). Blast it down the hall and move in for the kill.  "Viktor was a rash and impulsive man, as he was more than willing to kill someone in cold blood to make sure he didn't get caught. Dexter bludgeons him to death with a fire extinguisher".

Whatever you "plan to use", make sure something is in EVERY ROOM OF THE HOUSE, EVEN THE BATHROOMS.

Sal

PS: I really get a kick out of this sub-forum. I'm glad it was started. Great discussions....But I'm hesitant to advise our government about any firearms I may or may not have. I frequently think about how we communicate and coordinate, locally, regionally, and distantly, when the canary hits the fan.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Non-Firearm Home Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:10:10 am »
Not everyone lives in town or close to one.
Home alarms, if I had one and it goes off they call you and the police, which are 30 to 45 minutes away.
Ok you mash your panic button for your car.  The bad guy should already know how far away your neighbors and law is away.  You and he will hear it.  My nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile, used to be 1 mile.
a club or baseball bat, I have no intent to get into hand to hand combat
Cell phone we have done covered how long it can take for help to arrive.
Fire extinguishers, I have a small kitchen one and two 35# commercial size ones with PKP for bigger fires.  I have been to more than one fire fighting school also.

But if someone wants to break in they will have to go through at least two locked doors and by then I should be waiting for them with some type of weapon, pistol, shotgun, rifle, bow or crossbow.

I was never a Boy Scout but I try to be prepared.

Joe

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:22:57 pm »
Do not let them escape!
keep them bussy a while

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:11:58 pm »
On a different for there was a great post on NO GUN HOMES and what they can do.

The No.1 method in private safety USING Wasp and Hornet Spray from any garden center and hardware or many groceries stores.

WASP and HORNET spray will shoot a heavy stream 20ft from you - just point at the head try getting as much spray to BLIND him (likely permanent - strong warnings on bottle) but If someone comes in my home, if it takes me to spray bug spray in his eyes or get pummeled to death. I like this on - 20ft is as far as distance, but the spray will get to them and then use that baseball bat if you still need too!

Now, if it were me (to be safe) spray him in the face every ten minutes til the cops come) seems fair to me - lol. I don't feel sorry for the punishment bad people earn - you can easily cover all bedrooms and living areas for $50 - You already have good door protection, so you'll have time to aim a bugspray can. The article said if the intruder tries to get the can out of your hands - just pull the can to your chest and hold tightly against you with 2 hands.

I mentioned earlier cheap door alarms the send out a scrretch yo u can hear every where in your house - they are cheap and I've seen many "personal body alarms" for und $8 each. Just fasten to entrance doors, so if the door is opened the safety pin is pulled and you'd likely stop some people or have someone more seasoned to home entry just crush the the alarm - "he's in it for a penny or a crown, as soon as he crossed your doorway" You just need enought time to react, simple battery door alarms a pretty good determent.

Also, I have a wonderful every day carry 1050 lumen flashlight - which is blinding in the face and it has a full STROBE to fully blind an intruder. I have seen on Ebay, 2000 lumen flashlight with Cree leg and 1850 batteries and charge (nice deal) $20.00. I don't leave the safety of my home. I use my light. At night I clip it to my workshirt pocket and shine an 8ft radius around me and hands free. Last winter was terrible here, we had 2ft of snow that melted 1/3 and 2 more feet above that of freah half frozen snow - seriously like a Slushy poured on a montainous shaped landsape of frozen ice, rolled over with wheel tracks, then refroze - the guys who made rounds to 43 boilers that Winter, busted our read literally. We all fell 20 times a season, it comes with the job.

But - lol. As I was saying, I use the Thrunite tn12 (2014) Any light that works like this. A strobe in your home is a serious advantage cause I know where stuff is, he'll be stumbling blindly from 1050 lumens - which is funny. Lumen wise my Streqm-light for my Glock has a 600 lumen light, which is as brilliant a brightness, nainly cause the side to side light is filtered more toward center.

So that's my suggestions - a good lightweight light with strobe is a serious advantage, and finally they're the stun guns and other motor response weapons. Our police can't even use motor reflex weapons, stunguns and such - the death rate is showing to high, so instead they get M16s and endless supply of ammo.

Hope that helps.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »
Keep in mind that not everyone who breaks into your house is what you think of as bad.  They may be confused.  They may be a lot of things.  I have had a 12 year old boy in a short sleeved shirt kick down my door in the middle of a -10 F night.  I did not shoot him.  I have had a drunk kick in my door which he thought was at his cousins house (and thought his cousin locked him out) and then get very confused when he found me standing there with a gun.  I did not shoot him either.  Not everyone kicks in your door with the intent of harming you...

Outside of a gun, I think a dog is the most useful deterrent to a criminal, but it's not perfect.  Any useful took you know how to wield well will work for a weapon.  A hammer is pretty deadly as is a baseball bat, or an ax...

The unfortunate reality is that it is the gun that makes us all equal... other wise you have to be bigger, stronger, faster, younger and more skilled at fighting and hope the assailant doesn't have a gun...

“The Gun Is Civilization” By Maj. L. Caudill, USMC (Ret)

"Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

"In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

"When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

"The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

"There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat – it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed.

"People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

"Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

"People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

"The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable.

"When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation… And that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

"By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)"
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline krista45036

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »
well-trained german shepherds and a baseball bat

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 03:02:22 pm »
Anybody who’s ever been attacked by a dog, knows how effective they are!  Yes, I know that from experience  :(  No I wasn't breaking any laws, it was a friends dog.

Interesting ideas from the BM too.  I hadn’t thought about most  of those alternatives.

Offline Snowhitsky

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »
Unless you are trained to use weapons my advice is don't even contemplate using one unless you have absolutely no alternative. One thing is pressing a trigger another is sticking or bludgeoning someone. Frankly, the odds of the average untrained civilian coming out on top against a criminal are not good even if he is unarmed. Don't be a hero, get out of the house through another exit and stay alive.

If you live in a dangerous area then you need to think about your house in terms of concentric rings of defence to slow down intruders. The longer they perceive it will take them to get in, the more likely they'll move on to easier prey.

1. Perimeter deterrents:  Fences, motion security lights, dogs. Prickly bushes under ground floor windows. Gravel paths around the house (makes a noise when you walk on it).
2. Windows and doors:  Put wooden shutters on all your windows and use them at night. Invest in a good quality door with proper locks and use them.
3. In house security:  motion alarm system for likely entrance points and stout lockable doors between the living areas and your bedroom.
4. Personal safety: charged mobile phone, torch, pepper spray and personal attack alarm.

The above should give you enough time to react to a break-in and get out of harm's way (through the window if need be and it's feasible). Make sure to keep footwear that is quick to put on (no laces) near your bed.

If you're cornered and have no choice but to fight, better get up close and personal with something sharp and repeatedly stab somewhere soft. The killer blows at arms length look good but rarely work. But I repeat, this is a last resort. It is almost always better to run.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 07:24:40 pm »
A small womans best defense against a large man with intent to harm is still a firearm. Joe Biden( Our vice president) suggested urinating on  a would be attacker.. That would be a big help.
 A man that gets away with a rape is likely to do it again. One that has been shot dead is not.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:24:50 am »
That's Biden's answer to everything, isn't it?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:44 am »
he pee'd on everything else

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:33 pm »
non-firearm home protection is all about making you home a 'hard' target.
Fence, check
Motion sensor lighting, both line powered and solar powered, check
CCTV cameras, check
Alarm system, check
locked doors and windows, check
loyal dog, check
I don't golf and haven't played baseball in decades, so I keep a couple jo handy,  Jo is a short staff, perfect for use indoors.  Also pepper spray.
OTH, I live where 2nd amendment is respected, so....
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 03:30:26 pm »
The best protection you can get is to put an NRA sticker on your front and back doors...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:16:16 pm »
I wish I could agree MB but I think placing NRA stickers around is like printing with a carry weapon. Never give your adversaries a heads up. I think it better on you home than on your car, you don't need people seeing you support gun rights, just doesn't make sense. It kinda blows the element of surprise.

I keep no stickers on my car announcing any any thoughts on guns - no need someone following me home some day to mark my house for robbery of guns.

We have to do it different up here since no one can carry.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 11:20:46 am »
I agree with Beemaster about NRA stickers.  I'm an endowment life member of NRA, but there are no stickers to let burglars know there are guns in the house that they can steal.   If our legislature approves open carry, I'll be relieved because I won't have to worry about anyone seeing my weapon, but I won't deliberately expose it.

Beemaster, only law-abiding citizens of your great state are not able to carry.  That would bother me as I'm sure it does you.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 01:35:10 pm »
""We have to do it different up here since no one can carry.""
WRONG. All thugs and gang members can carry. Only honest folk are denied the privilege.

As for non-firearm home protection, this might work..

I shut down my  home alarm system and took my name off  the Neighborhood Watch.  I  put up two Pakistani flags and raised them in front of the house, one  at each corner.

I  put the black flag of ISIS by the mail box.

The local police, FBI and other intelligence services are all watching my house 24/7.

I've never felt safer.  All for free. No charge.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 07:04:01 pm »
Funniest thing I've seen all day Idee!  :grin:
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:08 pm »
Leave it to Iddee to top everybody.  Way cool, Iddee!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 08:30:35 pm »
 :grin:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 12:40:34 am »
>I'm an endowment life member of NRA, but there are no stickers to let burglars know there are guns in the house that they can steal.

I am also a life member.  I also have no stickers on my doors.  But this is advice for someone who has no guns...
-------------------