Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A full 30 frame Layens  (Read 374 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
A full 30 frame Layens
« on: May 16, 2024, 10:17:03 pm »
This is what happens when your bees multiply too fast. OR when you get behind in building more frames.
There are 25 frames occupied and another 2 sheet of comb added on by the bees. The entrance is at the far end.
I am just going to wait until harvest in the fall, and deal with it when the honey is cured and the bees are fewer.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Re: A full 30 frame Layens
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 10:50:03 pm »
Oh boy, they got busy. Curious, do you use a follower board in your Lauren's?
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 11:29:16 am »
Bob I ran out of frames this year, -got shipped the wrong size, and to make a very long story short. I have multiple hives and nucs. that Ive been cleaning up over the last couple weeks as weather permits. I installed interior feeders as fillers on the production hives but this years new hives were a mess. I feel for you.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 08:38:09 pm »
Occam.
I don't use follow boards. Maybe I should, but it didn't seem to make a difference in my beginning years. And George Layens, who said he did, said in his later years that he didn't. However, I DO have bees all in the box, walking around in both my Layens and my Long Langstroth.

Bill.
All this cross comb is my fault because I didn't think to add a wedge to the top bar of the foundationless frames I was building from scratch. Since the Layens top bars touch at top, the bees had a solid, flat ceiling above them.
The question is can I trust the summer/fall drop in population not to expose the frames to encroaching hive beetles. As of right now, I have not seen a single hive beetle in the last two months.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 10:20:08 pm »
Just my personal opinion NO. But with that said keep an eye out. My personal opinion isnt always correct. It depends on temp, humidity,and the dirt above the hive.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 04:04:10 pm »
I bounced the idea of keeping the hives closed until fall with a Layens Facebook site.
40% of the beeks said no. Pull honey when capped.
60% said pull in fall, when I set up the hive for winter.

Offline Bill Murray

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 09:53:20 pm »
So 40% live south of the mason Dixon and 60% live north ?? Just asking.