Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar water question...  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sugar water question...
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
>Does this apply to NUCs hived in late May?

If there is nectar available, I do not feed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 05:17:06 pm »
From 40 years of reading. I have no idea where I read it, but many times. They say it takes the space of 4 frames of nectar to make a frame of honey.

I think I read in an old queen rearing book that 60/40 = water 60 /sugar 40 was best to get comb drawn.

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 09:56:31 am »
Hey Possum...Let us know what you see when you check the comb with 1:2. Hopefully not sugar logged.

I will start feeding again here at the house with 1:2 and see, also. I am trying to build up some new colonies here and if this works it would be great. I guess 1:1 is too much of a good thing when they don't want to build.
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »
I would not hesitate to feed a hive that needs it, but the last time I fed any of my colonies, splits, nucs or packages was 2008...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 06:34:52 pm »
Another question...about vinegar slowing sugar water from going bad. How much vinegar do you put in sugar water...say at a 1:1 ratio...
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:34 pm »
I would not hesitate to feed a hive that needs it, but the last time I fed any of my colonies, splits, nucs or packages was 2008...

The OP is in SC and if like I will have no fall flow. All we get is a couple of months in the Spring. So if you split after this window.... feeding is a necessity.
John 3:16

Offline SCPossum

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:40 am »
Do they put up goldenrod in the fall?  There is usualy plenty of that around here. Just wondering.

Hey Bug, they built about a full frame of comb today in 24 hours.   The 1:2 is not slowing them down. I'm going to keep them building comb as long as I can and supplement my nucs with drawn comb. Hope that isn't a mistake.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 09:51:00 am »
All goldenrod is not equal. I believe we have a different type here in the heated South than you hear talk about in other cooler areas where the GR produces a steady flow. Here where I am we get a little nectar and some backfilling and it is hit and miss. Definitely not enough to sustain a hive.

As you know the diversity of forage in SC, for a small state, changes drastically from area to area. It changes drastically in my area just 30 miles toward that stinky bird town :) Actually the forage is better in the Batesburg area than here. I believe because of the shift from clay to more loam. You throw in my holly there, more privet and sparkleberry.  They got twice the flow I did this year. Here I get basically blackberry, privet and tulip popular.
John 3:16

Offline SCPossum

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 04:09:43 pm »
You must be talking about the Gamecocks.  I agree..

I hope I get some over here by the Saluda River/Lake Murray region.  They are still bringing in lots of pollen...it turned white yesterday.  

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »
I have not seen any white pollen over my way. White could be heather. It's mostly just orange/yellow at my house.

I thought all goldenrod was about the same. That's interesting...I know there are lot's of varieties...  and now not all abundant providers. Good to know. 

Possum...I am feeding only two hives that we made from splits. They seem pretty slow in building up. Gotta be the time of year. I am feeding them 1:2.
Dave

Offline SCPossum

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 09:40:19 pm »
The white pollen is coming in early in the morning to about noon. I haven't seen it in the afternoon. Saw it this morning at 7:30 and noon.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
My understanding about the vinegar is that it acidulates the sugar water making it more like nectar and decreasing the chances of nosema occurring. Just what I've read. However I use it and normally put a teaspoon per quart.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 07:03:48 pm »
Thank you GSF! I will do that, too.
Dave

anything