Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Traveling with Bees, TSA screening and bees  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Daveg59

• Brood
Traveling with Bees, TSA screening and bees
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:02 am »
We have a trip to Florida planned. I'll be returning the beginning of May. I'd like to bring a few mated queens back on the plane. I'm wondering if there is any special preparation needed to get through TSA? Who has flown with queens? Any suggestions for success?

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
Re: Traveling with Bees, TSA screening and bees
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 12:05:26 pm »
This sounds extremely risky, and possibly illegal.  Most agriculture from other states must be inspected before it can cross state lines.  I also have to question whether the queens would be able to survive like that.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 12:40:44 pm »
I think it would be safer shipping them by USPS, as the breeders do daily.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 01:06:40 pm »
I studied all the regs and can not find any regulation against taking queens.  I have taken them in my carry on.  No one can guarantee what a given TSA agent might get wound up about though...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 11:44:29 pm »
Yep just open the queen clips and drop them on top of the collection bin if TSA objects...

(general pandemonium...)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 11:29:07 pm »
Try calling them your emotional support animal. ;)

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 02:38:14 pm »
Try calling them your emotional support animal. ;)

That's about what mine are. At least a fun distraction. :)

Offline Daveg59

• Brood
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 05:58:01 pm »
Spoke to TSA. There are no restrictions concerning traveling with bees. I suppose that should make me happy, I think there should be a few rules. It kinda leaves the gate wide open, when someone does something really stupid then it will be just outlawed.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 02:04:20 pm »
Spoke to TSA. There are no restrictions concerning traveling with bees. I suppose that should make me happy, I think there should be a few rules. It kinda leaves the gate wide open, when someone does something really stupid then it will be just outlawed.

I suggest you get it in writing from TSA and have the memo on you if you travel with them.  As someone who used to pass through TSA regularly (almost daily basis) for work, I've seen people travel with obscure things that are not clearly outlined by TSA policy (or not well known by the ground-level workers and even supervisors even if they are since they are rarely encountered.)  Usually they don't have the time to sort it out with upper offices so the Supervisor on duty makes a discretionary decision--which may be the opposite of what you have been told, in what they believe is in the best interest of passenger safety (think like a regular person, not a beekeeper).  If you have it in writing and keep a copy on your person when traveling, being able to provide it to them if they are uncertain may save yourself a headache and some queens.  My 2 cents...actual value may vary.  ;)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 11:27:53 am »
We have a trip to Florida planned

If you have it in writing and keep a copy on your person when traveling, being able to provide it to them if they are uncertain may save yourself a headache and some queens.  My 2 cents...actual value may vary.  ;)

TSA can be twitchy.  If you do a search back on here you'll find posts about TSA confiscating jars of honey out of checked baggage because they didn't know what it was. I took to writing "Dear TSA, this is raw honey with comb in it...etc." and leaving my cell number and a disposable spoon for them 
They never called or tasted the honey and I hope the notes made them smile.   :cheesy:

Overnight shipping might be cheaper and safer than losing them to TSA agents.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2021, 09:35:09 pm »
This is off the cuff, but if inspection cert from florida, within your states guidelines 30 days, 60 days etc. and you declare them should be no issue. I will call my inspector tomorrow and ask.