Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The roar from a queenless hive, does it coincide with increased defensiveness?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Member leechman had a thread asking about combining hives.  The direction of the thread made me wonder about  one of mine. 

I have a hive that was made up from a decent size swarm.  When I went to check it about two days ago, they were VERY defensive.  As soon as I opened the lid they nearly emptied the box coming after me.  Does increased defensive behavior go hand in hand with the roar to indicate queenlessness?  There was a definite loud buzzing, but I am not sure that I have ever heard the "roar". 

Does queenlessness make them more defensive, or do I just have an exceptionally nasty new hive?

I know I will know about MY hive when I finish my inspection. I would like to know, though, as a general rule do they go together?

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Queenless hives are often hostile, especially if they have a strong population.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Thanks, Ross. 

That is good to know. 

Another question along this line, is it too late in the year to requeen?  Regardless of their status, they need gentler genes.  They stayed with me for about 100 yards as I walked through the woods.  Should I just combine them with another hive?
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
I would not take action because of one visit to the hive. Any hive will act like that under certain conditions. Check them for queenright and requeen if queenless. If queenright, check for signs of skunk or other predator. Check twice more weekly, in warm, sunny weather. If they are defensive all times, then take action.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Thanks, Iddee. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Not all queenless colonies are defensive, but they always seem to have the roar.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Queenless hives are often hostile, especially if they have a strong population.

That would explain my 20+ stings tonight!

I have one more idea about queenless hives, at least based on mine that swarmed, could the roar in a queenless hive be from them making so much honey? Everywhere brood has hatched is now filled with honey. Could that roar be them drying it down a bit?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
not likely... fanning for cooling and drying is usually barely a hum, suit up and slap the side of a hive and listen.. thats more like what a queenless one sounds like. Just make sure no one else is around n dont hang around long after you slap it  :-)  just kidding .. dont slap one.. but that is the sound.. and dont ask how I know. :idunno:
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
I smoked this hive last night.  I smoked the entrance well.  I let it set for a bit.  I then smoked the entrance again, and I smoked under the lid.  When I finally went in, they were still very defensive.  They appear to be queenright, though. 

I found lots of capped and uncapped.  The pattern was tight.  They had stores around the edges, and had the first box almost full of drawn comb. 

Comparing them to my other hives they are crazy little buggers.  They would not leave me alone.  I closed them up, when finished, and walked 50+yds away.  They finally left me after a few minutes.  I went back to the beeyard and started on another hive.  These girls came after me again (I would hate to see how they acted if I "SCORNED" them LOL).  For the next hour there were at least 10 of these bees bouncing off of me. 

Maybe they were just reacting more harshly to less nectar sources right now.  I will give them more time and see how things go.  They work hard, so I really don't wanna requeen.  ???

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
They work hard, so I really don't wanna requeen

folks keep AHBs and live with their behavior :-)  were they pinging off you or trying to sting you.  i find the warning pinging far more common at this time of the year.  i can live with that.  if they were coming out by the 100's and trying to sting me, that would be a different story.

a hard working have that is protective of it's stores is not necessarily a bad thing....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
They can buzz me and bump me all day long as long as they aren't hellbent, I'm with Kathy.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything