Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mistakes  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Mistakes
« on: December 05, 2019, 01:31:57 am »
I've made some mistakes this fall. First, I didn't ventilate the hives as soon as I should've. Queen Rose's cluster is looking small maybe about two frames. The other two are looking okay. Is there any way I can save it? I will be adding sugar bricks this weekend when the temperatures go over 50.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Mistakes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 08:21:15 am »
> First, I didn't ventilate the hives as soon as I should've.

I seriously doubt that was an issue this early in winter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 10:09:22 am »
Small cluster, this has Varroa written all over it.  I know not any facts, but this is typical of the mite.  The bees will keep dwindling if Varroa is the issue.  I hope there are other causes than Varroa.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:30:06 am »
Small cluster, this has Varroa written all over it.  I know not any facts, but this is typical of the mite.  The bees will keep dwindling if Varroa is the issue.  I hope there are other causes than Varroa.

I treated all the hives in august with hop guard. I did find a small number of dead bees with carrots on them.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 04:36:19 pm »
If we have a hive reduce to 2 or 3 frames then we would put them into a 5 frame nuc with honey or reduce to a single with honey and pack out the sides with polystyrene to reduce the volume the need to keep warm.
No experience of varroa, but the reduction in numbers can happen without Varroa, sometimes in mid winter it is due to the bees not breeding in Autumn and so the geriatrics die off over winter. Autumn breeding is very important to us to have bees available for almonds in early spring.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:44:33 pm »
Beavo, is Australia still Varroa mite FREE?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:36:18 pm »
If we have a hive reduce to 2 or 3 frames then we would put them into a 5 frame nuc with honey or reduce to a single with honey and pack out the sides with polystyrene to reduce the volume the need to keep warm.
No experience of varroa, but the reduction in numbers can happen without Varroa, sometimes in mid winter it is due to the bees not breeding in Autumn and so the geriatrics die off over winter. Autumn breeding is very important to us to have bees available for almonds in early spring.

I dont have and nucs or polystyrene. At this point I dont know if they are still there I'm going to check in a few hours after school

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:36 pm »
Alright I can breath a big sigh of relief. I went out to feed them the first batch of sugar brick and I wanted to take a peek under the inner cover since the temps were about 50. The hive in question actually have about 5-6 frames of bees  :cheesy: I'm so excited all the hives are looking great.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 08:34:17 pm »
Good news, thanks for the update.  Always nice to hear the success of the bees.
Van

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 11:04:58 pm »

Good information Oldveavo. I like the way the way you handle a 2-3 framer in winter. Thanks again for sharing you good solid reasoning.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 02:20:04 am »
Good news, thanks for the update.  Always nice to hear the success of the bees.
Van

Yes very nice. Feeling much relieved

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:18 am »
Excellent Xerox. Glad it worked out. I was rooting for you.

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 11:23:48 am »
Excellent Xerox. Glad it worked out. I was rooting for you.

Thank you! Hopefully I can keep up with them eating the food

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 07:16:37 pm »
What I learned today: after putting the sugar bricks in a few days ago I decided to have a check to see which hives are the most hungry by how many bees are on the food. The two hives I combined this fall dont have any, the hive in question above has a good handful and the strongest hive has a couple. This tells me that queen Rose's hive is running low on food and I will have to keep feeding them.

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 09:51:28 pm »

Yes

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 12:37:58 am »

Yes

Ight I'm moving to Australia  :cheesy: make sure to treat my hives so I'm not the one bringing the mites in
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:27:17 am by Xerox »

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 01:06:52 am »

Ight I'm moving to Australia  :cheesy: make sure to treat my hives so I'm not the one bringing the mites in
Yes

:cheesy: :cheesy: