Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fascinated by bees - Kingston, Ontario  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Craig Anderson

• New Bee
    • Todays Chapter
Fascinated by bees - Kingston, Ontario
« on: April 09, 2017, 07:46:38 pm »
Good afternoon everyone,

I joined the forum to learn more about bees. I recently read an article about Colony Collapse Disorder and it set me down a path of learning all about bees and how complex their behaviours and societies are. I had no idea. Everything I learned inspired me to write a sci-fi story about bees, which has been surprisingly well received. Now I'm sitting down to write the sequel and have realized I am in over my head!

A beekeeper friend suggested I sign up for this forum due to the wealth of information available, so here I am.

Next month the same friend has invited me out to his farm to get some hands on experience with his hives. I can't wait!

I look forward to chatting with you all about these amazing insects :)

Craig

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Fascinated by bees - Kingston, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:02:07 pm »
I don't think you should do it Craig.  Bees are more addicting than crack.  You will end up owning hives.  LOL
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:10:53 pm »
Welcome.  :happy:

Offline Craig Anderson

• New Bee
    • Todays Chapter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »
I don't think you should do it Craig.  Bees are more addicting than crack.  You will end up owning hives.  LOL

Haha, you are not the first person to say this! I already have a wife, 2 kids (3 and 1) a Brittany spaniel, two cats and 3 fish. I'm not sure I can cope with 5000+ more mouths to feed! ;)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:27:52 am »
Craig,
Welcome to Beemaster.
If you are going to write about bees you really should get 2 hives. It will give you a lot more to write about.
And it really is addictive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 09:54:27 am »
Future beekeeper right here./

Offline Craig Anderson

• New Bee
    • Todays Chapter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:05:36 pm »
Craig,
Welcome to Beemaster.
If you are going to write about bees you really should get 2 hives. It will give you a lot more to write about.
Jim

I keep telling my wife I need hands on experience to make the book more realistic. Then she reminds me the same book includes cloning, genetic engineering, mass murder and advanced Artificial Intelligence. I feel like researching any of the others is going to get me on a government watch list or two...

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 10:35:58 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 11:55:52 pm »
Craig,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim

I keep telling my wife I need hands on experience to make the book more realistic. Then she reminds me the same book includes cloning, genetic engineering, mass murder and advanced Artificial Intelligence. I feel like researching any of the others is going to get me on a government watch list or two...
What book is this?  I might want to read it!  And I agree with everybody else.  You WILL be assimilated into the world of beekeeping!  Welcome!  We're glad to have you!
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.