Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Advantages and Disadvantages of Double Screen Bottom Boards  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
In your opinion, what are some advantages and disadvantages of double screen bottom boards?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Advantages and Disadvantages of Double Screen Bottom Boards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:14:37 pm »
In my experience only.  Advantages: Probably for warmer climates very few SHB if an oil, or water pan is used. Diatomaceous Earth has been successful for some but it cakes to quickly for my area. I build my DSBB with 2 3/4  inches between screens, which allows a casserole pan with about 3/4 inch of oil in i to be inserted from the rear of the hive. Before moving a hive I strain the used cooking oil and reuse it.  Messy, yes, but fore thought can make this a non issue .  I see absolutely  no bearding on hives all deeps up to 4 high in the Texas sun.  I use a door on the rear that is bee proof which allows me to change oil without the bees ever knowing I am there.  If you like a landing board the DSBB makes this easy to incorporate in the construction.  I also use the idea of Jim's that is a screened top board with a cloth and sawdust or shavings year round.  I have no mold in the winter.  There are Master Bee Keepers, I am NOT a MB, that leave the DSBB open all year, I have done this also with no bad results I just like to make sure all my girls are snug and comfy.   My major disadvantages Time and cost to build, weight and some added bulk, especially if hives are moved.  I wish I had numbers to prove that DSBB improves mite control, all I can honestly say is that it has to help.  I strap all my hives which helps make them tighter, also cows and horses love to rub on hives and knock them over.  I have LOTS of hogs but they have never been any kind of a problem for my bees.  I first used SSBB and the bees started comb on the bottom of the screen.  Summary; Dsbb will work for you if you want it to work but they won't if you don't want to use them or have a preconceived negative opinion.  Its just another tool.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 11:45:58 pm »
Thanks for the good summary Paus. 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:55:40 pm »
The biggest advantage is you can decimate the SHB population when you add oil trays. Especially if you have a lot of hives with them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 12:13:17 pm »
Good morning Phil.  Taking a break from Bible study this AM Sunday.

Single screened bottom board with tray:
I use several types of screened bottom board,  Freeman has the tightest joints which is important when treating Oxalic acid vapor for mites.  You do not won?t to lose vapors via the screen bottom with a lose fitting tray.

My biggest complaint is cleaning the bottom tray after EVERY rain.  If the water is not removed, a moldy mess precipitates.  I face my hives South, but some rain usually finds it way to collect in the bottom trays.  I use diatomaceous earth  in the bottom tray with pollen patty bait in the center of the tray surrounding by diatonic dust,,,deadly on beetles.

My bees still washboard during hot days with the screened bottom board with bottom tray.

Oddly, this year, my area has few beetles?

Back to Bible studies.

All good things to you beekeepers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:57:39 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 10:09:20 am »
Thanks Mr Van and Jim