Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Invention (The Plexiglass Inner Cover)  (Read 2434 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Another Invention (The Plexiglass Inner Cover)
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:40 pm »
As you know i am always thinking about things to build for my bees. All you have to do is pull the top cover off and look in, it disturbs the bees quite a bit less. I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in it, which unfortuanatly cracked the glass a little bit and i put a screen over the top.

Here it is on top of my 2 week old package of bees, started on foundationless frames, so there isnt that much activity on top.

I took this picture this morning about 7:30 when my bees were not out yet flying around. You can see the screen i pulled back for a better view.

This is a close up picture, i left the plastic on the plexiglass so when it gets dirty i can just pull it off and it will look new again.

The pictures are not as clear as it really looks in person, but it gets the idea across.

Do you see anything wrong with this?

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Another Invention (The Plexiglass Inner Cover)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:03:11 pm »
do you still have ventilation holes? I couldn't see em. other than that to me it looks like a great idea

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »
Yes there is a 3/4 inch hole directly in the center, thats why i put the screen over it so the bees dont go on top. I wanted to make the hole bigger but the glass cracked and i didnt want to make it any worse.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:23:21 pm »
Yes there is a 3/4 inch hole directly in the center, thats why i put the screen over it so the bees dont go on top. I wanted to make the hole bigger but the glass cracked and i didnt want to make it any worse.

When cutting holes in plexiglass use a slow 3/8 inch drill bit to cut 4 holes at the beginnings of the curve thus :=:, duck tape and then a fine toothed metal jig saw blade at slow speed.  Too much force and it will crack.  Leave the film on the plexi on until after you've finished cutting--no marrs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:42 pm »
I wish i would have knew that befour building it.