Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newspaper combine  (Read 1983 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Newspaper combine
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:51:19 am »
I have more hives than I anticipated, and one or two are weak. So i did a combine of four into two, eliminating the 2 weakest queens. That was an easy decision w/ these two. They had the most time to get going and were way behind my other hives which were weeks younger.

My question has to do w/ the newspaper. I scored the paper w/ slits and placed hive on top. Have you ever had a hive that didn't remove the newspaper? One hive is far, and i dont want to have to go back and check only to see if bees were able to break through. I made about a dozen slashes and one or two puncture wholes.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Newspaper combine
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:25:41 am »
They don't always remove it the way we would like them to. After a week or so, as long as they have combined, I will remove it.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:48:26 pm »
I've done quite a number of combines this year, and generally, I've found that they remove as much as they need to travel between the boxes, and that's it. When I go back in and see that the bees have mingled, I remove the rest.

I've found that they don't do a good job of getting the shreds out, so you'll probably need to clean off the bottom board.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:23:27 pm »
I was more conscerned w them having ability to mingle, w/o me getting back to hive. If they haven't cleaned it all out, I dont care. i just want them to be seperated long enough to mix scents is all.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:50:14 pm »
Newspaper works with me fine.  I use only two layers - I think they would get through one layer too quickly.   I've had no problem with residue - it's the daggy bits sticking out beyond the hive edges that look yukky.
www.beaverrox.blogspot.com/

Life is a river somewhere

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:50 am »
They'll eventually combine, even if it takes a day or two.  They don't like those foreign substances in the hive so will attack it.

I actually like the big wads of fluffy fiber that they reduce the newspaper to.

-r
Rick

anything