Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small swarm  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Small swarm
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:45:20 pm »
I found a small swarm a week ago about the size of two soft balls.I thought it was very small well any way I shook it into a box with some come a medium box I figured maybe they will make it maybe not.I checked them today and there are larvae and egggs I was suprised to say the least.The swarm I caught friday is drawing comb and doing good also.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Small swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 10:34:23 pm »
Small swarms are a sign of potential AHB. Give a home be niceto them and be prepared to requeen them after you send a sample of 50 in for testing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Small swarm
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:08:16 pm »
For your info there are a lot of Africanized bees in California.I have had very mean bees in the early 70's they would staple my OVERHAULS to my back.When I went to Arizona and got two Nuc's from Dee Lusby she showed me hot ot tell if they are two hot very simple>When I have had HOT bees I found it impossible to requeen they were so mean So I would Do a Michael Bush thing divide and conquer .I make two or three hives let them do the re-queen thing evryone settles down in a month.It is easy to say Africanized bees unless you send them to a lab or can use a microscope it is impossible for a beekeeper like me .Africanized Bees is unapplicable to me not useable.I just use good beekeeping practices if they are mean treat them accordingly.I'm not afraid of bees mean or otherwise but if I get them I devide and conquer.The state that have Africanized bees need to learn to manage them they ain't going away.

"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything