Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small hive beetles and Pierco frames  (Read 2138 times)

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
Small hive beetles and Pierco frames
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:25:40 am »
I replaced last pm the drone Pierco frames used for varroa control.  One design flaw with them is that they have these small grooves along the frame that make excellent hiding places for small hive beetles.  I must have taken 30 SHB out of one frame!  The bees can't get to them very well in those grooves.  I wish they could be redesigned where they would not have those areas.  I was wondering if the regular Pierco frames have the same grooved areas.  If so, I don't think they would be a good option for here in the south.  I can just envision a whole brood box full of those same type of frames, and how many hiding places that would give those rascally SHBs........
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:32:58 am »
Sounds like a little epoxy might fill the grooves.  That or shave them a hair to get rid of the grooves.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:23:43 am »
yes all pierco frames have the grove's, I used hot glue gun on some of mine (didn't worp) and a few hives filled the grove with propolis.... I like the plastic because I have wood and plactic, now because they draw the wood frames and wax foundation out so fast I buy only wood now but still have about 50 pierco frames in the hives...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:51:58 pm »
I have a feeling we will be redeigning beeequipment with the mites in mind, over the next decade or so...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:42:07 am »
MB,
I agree that changes are in the wind, try looking at this discussion within the forum: Send links and pics please!

I think I've found a solution to access to the hives from a wheelchair--I just have to solve some obvious problems in adapting the design.

I re-entered  the beekeeping world after a long hermitage to find slatted racks and SBB's and split rivets being used to hold foundation in the frames.  Each has its advantages.  I'm  seeing innovations in hive ventilation that will make impacts in swarm management and parasite control among others.  I'm looking forward to more changes.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything