Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive starvation.  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Hive starvation.
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2020, 11:01:25 pm »
Phillip. Yes I have a variety of weeds in my yard, and especially my garden, which I have not dug yet. Henbit is  among them, and I have seen them working it. I also saw some purple red pollen on the bees. Someone mentioned henbit.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2020, 11:15:07 pm »
Phillip. Yes I have a variety of weeds in my yard, and especially my garden, which I have not dug yet. Henbit is  among them, and I have seen them working it. I also saw some purple red pollen on the bees. Someone mentioned henbit.

I mentioned henbit, but I do not know much about it Bob, except it does provide both nectar and pollen. What I do not know is the Percentage of each, (meaning is this plant of great value to our bees)? Maybe you can help me with this or maybe I should just be thankful for the blessing and relax? lol  As you know if you have been here for the past (almost two years) I am very inquisitive and seeking to lean more, (maybe to much)? LOL, Always asking questions, which may annoy you kind folks at times, but that is how we all learn right?  I am glad that you are blessed with the benefits of henbit also. Thank you for your reply.
Phillip

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 08:37:09 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2020, 05:00:42 pm »
I was just telling Alan, CoolBees in a PM. I did lose one of my late splits. It was 54 yesterday and I noticed that one of my late nuc splits was not as active as could or should be as compared to the rest. I cracked the top and they had starved, even though Mountain camp was incorporated. A big pile of dead bees in the bottom. No sign of mites or disease, (thank goodness), but all frames were empty of honey and most pollen. Some capped brood but not enough live bees to cover.  The good news. I did locate the half starved marked queen. (I am glad she was marked or I would have never located her). I removed her along with 4 nurse bees, barely hanging on.  I Placed this combo in a queen shipping cage, added a dab of honey and put them in my incubator. They all went straight for the honey. I am happy to tell you today,  all nurse bees and the queen are well, active, and lively! I do not think they would have made it another day. 25f tonight.
Phillip Hall

I realized that I left off an important point. The mountain camp that was incorporated had ran completely out. Much rain here. I should have checked this earlier. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:05:03 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2020, 08:54:01 am »
Ben at 25 degrees mountain camp is not going to help.  It is a false sense of security.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2020, 11:34:37 am »
Ben at 25 degrees mountain camp is not going to help.  It is a false sense of security.

Thanks Ace. In this particular situation I believe you are 100 percent right.  That is the same conclusion that I had drawn also, being why I searched for, and luckily found, the (half starved and appearing to be lifeless), Queen and did as described.
Phillip Hall

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2020, 07:07:35 pm »
I?ve seen bees work it. What I?ve found says the pollen will be a orange red and  purplish red in color.

Yes my bees are working it, I am curious as the nutritional value, (protein percentage), of the pollen it provides. I am really glad to see that my lite weight late splits have access to this on the days they can fly. They cover it. Can?t hardly walk for fear of killing bees in this old garden spot. What is curious Nock, is they are still taking ultra bee 🐝 also.
Phillip

So that would make me believe it?s not a very good source of pollen then. Very interesting

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2020, 07:09:18 pm »
So what?s your plan with the Queen?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2020, 11:26:14 pm »
"So that would make me believe it?s not a very good source of pollen then. Very interesting"

I wish I could answer about henbit. Whether it is or is not a good source of nutrition by the pollen and nectar it provides, and the percentage of its values, I still do not know. I have ask here as well as googled seeking its nutritional value for our bees. The values I did not find.  Really I do not believe this plant has played a part for me this season, due to weather. On nice days they have been all over it but not long enough, in my opinion to make a real difference. The winter season here has been uncooperative where I live.  With temperatures up and down, (25) again tonight. This is the rainiest winter that I can remember here. My bees may have a nice couple days to fly and then the rain is right back, bees are stuck in the boxes once again, sometimes lasting days at a time, not to mention temperatures plummeting to boot and contend with also. I took note of iddees topic (bees spring) as well as what was posted on this topic, hoping to avoid what just happened by adding mountain camp along with boardman type feeders and open pollen feeding for the bees sake on the warmer days. These practices worked great last season, (winter before last), because mostly (normal) consistent weather in my area. I did not lose a hive that season. So far this season, I have lost two nucs. One, when you and I were talking via PM back in the late fall or early winter and this one. Unfortunately my mountain camp ran out on this one before I re-checked. My fault and mine alone.  As per my information and my concern of henbit, the verdict is still out until we know more. 

"So what's your plan with the Queen?"

I plan on banking her until the time is right for splits and fix her up with a brand new family, at that time. Lol.

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:19:04 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2020, 08:13:00 am »
I see things differently.  Plummeting temps are good because it slows the metabolism of the bees and stretches the resources.  The warm temps without nectar is the problem.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2020, 09:40:37 am »
I see things differently.  Plummeting temps are good because it slows the metabolism of the bees and stretches the resources.  The warm temps without nectar is the problem.

Yes if it's consistent and the longer stretches of consistency the better. No consistency here this season in my area.
Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:34:25 pm by Ben Framed »

anything