Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: truck farming  (Read 4369 times)

Offline bill

• House Bee
truck farming
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:27:27 pm »
hey you guys
I am tomatoe grower here in west texas I am not like real farmer that ships boxes of tomatoes I am the kind that sells at the farmers market and at the house I was retired and getting couch bound so I went back to work and started do inng the farmers market I was selling about 300  or 400 lbs twice a week last year till we got a lot of rain and they all started splitting and cracking they still sold  but I had to through over half of them away.I think some people would rather have the cracked ones so they really know they are getting home grown tomatoes. I am 68 now and a little thick around the middle but I am still going strong. I guess Midland texas is the hardest place I ever tried to grow tomatoes. It is semi arid and a lot of wind and it only rains when you don't want it. I have about 800 plants about two inches tall in the greenhouse and am raring to go  we plant about april the second which is our last frost date. I laso grow blackeyed peas Peppers and what ever else I can think of I am going to go into melons this year  so I will be letting you know how it goes
billiet

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
truck farming
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 02:38:34 am »
That sounds really great Bill!!! bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
truck farming
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 08:14:15 am »
We grow most of our veggies in a home-made hydroponic system. This year we plan to do tomatoes and cucumbers for sure - they do really well hydroponiclly. But also wanted to try out melons and squashes.

The gardening is mostly my husband's thing, and I supply the bees. :) So I don't know everything he plans to grow. After we finish the barn we're building, and the fence for the goats, we'll get the work started on the hydroponics. At that point I'll know what we're growing, and I'll probably post it to share with everyone. :)

Beth

Offline HilltopDaisy

• New Bee
truck farming
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 09:53:26 pm »
This will be my first year growing for market.  I have 5 acres to grow on.  There is a farmers market in the nearest town, and another about 15 minutes from here.  I have a fairly new orchard and blueberries, and laying hens.  I hope to learn a lot this year, in anticipation of successful years to come.  I also hope to sell to a local healthfood store.