Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Still learning after 3Yr.  (Read 4793 times)

Offline celtic

• New Bee
Still learning after 3Yr.
« on: June 26, 2004, 06:29:39 pm »
I'm from Texas and have been a beekeeper for the past 3 years.
I have 3 hives and am planing to do splits from the third to make 2 more.
I made my bee hobby a family thing with all contributing $6 a month and spliting the honey and in the future the pollin. I do all the maintenence and keep the wax.
I find beekeeping a fluid learning experience and I learn new things every day. One of my biggest mistakes in the begining was thinking if a queen's wings were cliped, she couldn't fly away. When my naibor reported my bees swarmed in another naibors tree I said they couldn't be mine for she can't fly away. Well if the hive for whatever reason supercedded her then Duhhh she can't but the new queen can. This was my $60 mistake and 1yr setbake :roll:
God did I feel like a shmuk :lol:

Offline tejas

• House Bee
    • http://www.A-1gutters.com
Still learning after 3Yr.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 01:56:08 pm »
Welcome Celtic, its good to have a fellow Texan here. Being a beginner beekeeper and not having a mentor this forum has been a big help for me. It will be good to have someone that has close to the same hive conditions as I have.

Offline Sting

• House Bee
Newbee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 05:04:15 pm »
I am a hobbyist with five active hives. This is my nineteenth year of beekeeping and I've have had up to twelve hives in the past. However, over the last couple of years, bears almost knocked me into some other hobby, like stamp collecting or something.  This year, so far so good.  A good flow has begun with a nice balance of sunny days and occasional rain producing a fine crop of clover.  The nights though have been quite cool.  I look forward to participating in this informative forum.
"Where the bee sucks, there suck I." William Shakespeare: The Tempest.

My apiary is about 17 kms. (10 miles) NW (back & left) of this web-cam view:  'See any of my girls?
http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html