Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen laying multiple eggs in cells  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Dogwash

• Brood
Queen laying multiple eggs in cells
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:51:45 am »
Morning all,
On my last hive inspection I?ve noticed that the queen is laying multiple eggs in cells. Normally if this was a young queen I wouldn?t be at all concerned but this queen was last year?s colony marked green (yes still the same queen). This is the first time I?ve ever encountered this and can see no reason why. The colony has lots of room to lay and stores are good. Has anyone else had this issue and should I be thinking of requeening?

Thanks in anticipation 😀

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Queen laying multiple eggs in cells
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 08:25:08 am »
You sW the queen, present in the box now?

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 09:37:53 am »
When was last time in the hive prior to this inspection?  Sounds like a laying worker.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:12:17 am »
Sounds like the queen failed and the workers are laying, even tho she is still there, Are the eggs all in the bottom of the cells, or are many of them on the sides?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 10:36:33 am »
> Are the eggs all in the bottom of the cells, or are many of them on the sides?

Yes good point.

Something else to consider, you may have another young  unmarked queen (two queens) this would not be the first time.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:54:41 am »
> Are the eggs all in the bottom of the cells, or are many of them on the sides?

Yes good point.

Something else to consider, you may have another young  unmarked queen (two queens) this would not be the first time.
Both Queen laying in same cell?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 11:04:34 am »

Yes good point.

Both Queen laying in same cell?

No, new queen and what new queens sometimes do, lay multiple eggs in A cell.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 12:13:22 pm »
iddee taught me here, the difference in multiple eggs laid on the side and multiple eggs laid in the bottom.  I am looking forward to iddees question answered by Dogwash; "Are the eggs all in the bottom of the cells, or are many of them on the sides?" I feel sure iddee will explain when the question is answered.

Phillip Hall

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 01:33:43 pm »
Eggs standing on bottom, queen.  Eggs on side, laying worker. Worker abdomen too short to reach bottom. The only worker eggs on bottom fall to get there, and are usually laying on their side.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 02:59:12 pm »
what does the capped brood look like?

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 05:56:12 pm »
Good question AR, as you tend not to get laying workers till the brood is hatched.
There could be a young queen that he bees are trying out to see how good she is before superseding the old marked queen.
Once you found the marked queen maybe you stopped looking for another queen or the young queen was hard to spot.
Take the marked queen out and put her in a nuc and see if the egg laying continues, will only take a few days to find out if there is another queen.

Offline Dogwash

• Brood
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 08:25:35 pm »
The queen was seen 3 days ago on my last inspection. Many of the cells looked normal but quite a few had multiple eggs on the bottom of the cell not on the side. The colony is still small coming out of winter and although I wasn?t looking for another young queen I can?t rule it out. The only thing that would make me think it?s not a new queen is that there are no drones around yet to have mates with her if that were the case I would suspect drone brood in this hive.
The capped cells look normal. It really doesn?t look like laying worker. I?m a bit flummoxed on this one.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 09:29:13 pm »
My guess is two queens.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 12:57:30 am »
Yes good chance two queens. I do not know how long it will stay that way. Maybe someone else here will know more about it.

Phillip Hall

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:25:53 am by Ben Framed »

anything