Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flow is on  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Tightwad

• House Bee
Flow is on
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:21:48 am »
I'm asking do I put my next supper under the top box? I'm using no foundation. And do I stag er frames from the top ? :?

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: Flow is on
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:01:30 am »
Is that like the last supper? This question has been asked a lot on the forums, answers are found with the search, but the short of it is imo: you can put it under or over. I personally like putting it on top, because I do not feel like lifting the other to put it under, and the other honey super acts sort of like a barrier that tells the queen "Hey...uhm...like stay below and put your eggs down there...this is supposed to be all honey up here." (And I add brood boxes to the middle of my brood areas, when expanding.) not that she always listens, but generally, ya. Some like to put it below because it is closer to a lower entrance, some like to put it lower early in the season so the queen will lay eggs in it, then they hatch and they will backfill after. some like to then have a upper entrance, or a middle entrance even. either way, if you have a quarter, flip it and decide which way you want to go pretty much and you'll be ok. I'm not one for top or middle entrances personally.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Flow is on
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
I pay absolutely no attention to where frames between boxes line up.  If you have the standard gap between boxes, it just doesn't matter.  Undersupering gets the bees working in the new space rapidly and that is a real advantage if you are drawing foundation.  If drawing foundation, pack it as tight together as possible.  I shave my frames to 1 1/4" so 11 fit in each box as I get a much better drawn comb that way.  As soon as the frames are all started I can pull one or two and space them out in the supers.  I like a dense brood nest and run the 11 frames there or ten and a follower board.

anything