Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kudzu  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Mason

• House Bee
Kudzu
« on: June 07, 2009, 03:45:25 pm »
I live on a power line in GA,

the amount of kudzu available to my bees is vast and in unlimited supply.

I was told by a long time resident that kudzu honey is delicious and PURPLE.

True or urban legend? 

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Kudzu
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 04:59:46 pm »
What some see as a rarity some see as junk ;). I have heard it is purple and taste of grapes. Kudzu is in the grape family.

Maybe it taste different from different areas. I posted asking about ti one year and one poster said it was terrible honey. I have run across one guy who gets a little and says it is light blue and taste of grapes in his area.

I can not find enough in my area to try. Found an area of a few acres and land owner denied. If you got it go for it and you let us know what you think.

You have probably already found this link:

http://www.millersand.com/honey.htm
John 3:16

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »

I have kudzu a couple blocks from my house. I was wondering last year if the bees worked it so I kept an eye on it. I never saw one bee on it, now thats just been my experience, others may have seen something different. It would be nice to give them something to forage in mid summer.

David

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:07 pm »
Same thing here troutstalker2. I got Kudzu 20 yards from my hives never saw a bee on it. Some places in South Georgia say they get honey from it. My bees when I lived down there as far as I know never touched it.
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!