Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pigs  (Read 3045 times)

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
pigs
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:31:22 am »
its been many, many (many!) years since i raised pigs, but I'm ready to start again. I intend to start with 4 to 6 pigs. I would like to use an electric fence to enclose about an acre. Any one use electric on pigs before, I haven't. any thoughts, advice, pros and cons? are their any pig "boards" such as this one on the net.

Thanks, from the hilltop.

Offline oliver

• House Bee
Re: pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:26:52 am »
We used to turn pigs in the garden.(1/4 acre), in the fall..Single hot wire, keep it low so they hit it with their nose, about  16in..never had one get out..dl

Offline Cparagone

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:21:10 pm »
Yes keep the wire low like a few inches, just keep it free of weeds so it doesn't short out constantly

Offline triple7sss

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:13:25 pm »
Never fenced in as large an area as you are going to do but just like Oliver and Cparagone said, keep it relatively close to the ground 12" - 16" and they will grub right up to the edge and as far under as their noses will reach.  In smaller sections we could even get a person on each corner and move the fence...pigs and all...just by pulling up posts and walking slowly.

And keep and eye on them and tell me if this happens - after they've kind of figured the whole thing out every once in a while one pig will sort of nudge his buddy into the fence to see if it is on.  It's a little funny to watch...