Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Paint Inner covers?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline hareman

• New Bee
Paint Inner covers?
« on: June 19, 2018, 08:18:50 pm »
I have always been told not to paint any wood inside the hive. However, I recently have seen videos which encourage painting both sides of inner covers in order to prevent moisture from the hive from causing deterioration of the plywood used in construction of the inner covers. One video says to use a good coat of primer and two coats of paint. (I assume he is talking about latex paint.) Anyone have an opinion to share on this?
Do your best and let God do the rest.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Paint Inner covers?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:02:52 pm »
My opinion?? Don't use plywood. Good commercial inner covers are real wood.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:47:38 pm »
My opinion?  The only deteriation occurs when first installed before the propolise it.  Some of the ones that have been on my hives for several years are darn near waterproof now.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:08 pm »
I'll slap a coat of paint on the top side if I get a chance but have never noticed any difference with painted or not painted life span. I have a few inner covers that are painted and must be 50 years old so I would guess the paint helped.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:13 am »
My opinion?? Don't use plywood. Good commercial inner covers are real wood.
Mine are luan or 1/4 plywood picture framed in pine. No paint.  If your inner cover gets wet I think you have other problems.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hareman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 06:24:33 pm »
Thanks for your comments. I agree with your statements and while the painted inner covers might last a few years longer, I don't think it is worth the trouble, time and materials to paint it. It is just as easy to make a new after every 7 - 10 years if needed.
Do your best and let God do the rest.

anything