BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > HONEYBEE REMOVAL

Liability

(1/3) > >>

KONASDAD:
As with everything I do w/ beekeeping, it is all a new experience for me. Nonetheless, I signed up for swarm removal. I have never done this. My question is, I live in area where homes are very expensive. I am reluctant to do cutouts, as i have limited carpentry skills. Do any of you have the homeowner  sign a release for home damage? If so, a sample copy would be appreciated. Do you repair the whole made? Hopefully, my first will be a hanging swarm!( I know, life never works like that, but I can hope, cant I?)

Robo:
Just emailed you the agreement I use.   I'm not a lawyer, so I have no idea how it would hold up in court, but at least it makes me feel good :-D

I explicitly state that the homeowner (or representative (ie. contractor)) is responsible for opening up the wall and all repairs.   Now in reality,  I offer up to open the wall as long as the homeowner is present and I explain each step and get agreement as we go.  Be very clear and explain you can not precisely know where the bees are located until you start ripping it open.

I have never had any problems as most people are more than accomidating as they just want to get rid of the bees.  I always bring an extra veil, as I have had homeowners who wanted to jump right in and help.   You can get a good feel for the person just by talking to them up front and explaining the process.  If after the talk, you have any concerns, walk away. 

Understudy:
I firmly believe that my years of construction have given me a benefit on dealing with cutouts. My advice would be to get someone who is in construction to consult with you. Bring him along and have him tell you where and how to cut the holes. That way you don't cut a structure beam or something ornate and expensive. He doesn't have to do the cutiing and probably wouldn't want to but he can point and  say cut here with a sawzall and cut here with a keyhole saw. Take a crowbar to this or that. He can also point and say stay away from this or that. Live wires in a wall would be no fun to run into.

As far as a liablity agreement you can get one and have them sign it. The basic just of it is that these people understand they are going to end up with a hole in something and you are not there to repair it or liable for things that are damaged by your need to remove bees. Suppose the hive has wrapped the comb around a water pipe and as you cut it out you cut the pipe and flood the house. The homeowners need to understand anything can happen and will. If you work with a person experienced in construction you will get a jump most others do not get.

I personally do not have homeowners sign anything but I am not charging for it. Also I explain that there will be a hole a big one and they will need to patch as soon as possible so bees do not move back in. because of my expierence I could patch the holes but I want to remove the bees not build their homes. Even if you remove all the comb bees seem to know where a home was.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

KONASDAD:
Thanx a bunch. I may have minimized my construction knowledge, as I do have many "do it yourself " skills. I know load bearing and can do plumbing, electrical,masonry, etc. But all at a "do it your self" level. I have no interest in re-assembling a house  I just cut a hole in. My finishing skills are a little rough. I can make things work, but not always can I make it  beautiful or pretty. If nothing else, I will be learning more skills about bees and home repair. I am looking forward to first call. I only hope I am available. My work schedule can be a bother at times.

JP:
In most cases you can pinpoint where the hive is located. Always try and narrow down exactly where the hive is so that damage and size of cutout is lessened. There are times when you get close and things are uncertain. These are some that may require consultation of a more experienced friend. When removing large, established hives that contain honeycomb, you need to wait at least a week before the opening is closed to allow for any honey that was spilled in the wall, ceiling,etc... to drip down or out. Also, some of these hives will be overstressed once they are removed and that's when waxmoths like to move in. Research " Certan " here on the forums, it can be applied to the brood comb you've removed to fight off the waxmoth. I use it and its been a big help. Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version