Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bottom Board Question  (Read 377 times)

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
Bottom Board Question
« on: April 11, 2024, 09:24:48 am »
I ended up with an extra telescoping cover and decided I should buy it a companion for the bottom so I got a screened bottom board at the TSC. The entrance is not the same height as the entrance in my other hives, which looks like a standard to me. Before I take this thing back because of this, I want to make sure I'm right and that they should all have the same size entrance and use a standard entrance reducer. Is it a standard or is it not?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Bottom Board Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 09:26:17 am »
What is the measurement ?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 09:32:49 am »
Somewhere around 3/8", about 2/3 of what my other reducers are. Do you need a precise measurement?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 09:39:24 am »
I don?t know if your already existing equipment is standard or the new piece is. Just trying to get a prospective. Even still it should work. My bottoms are not standard. I use a 3/4 gap.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 09:41:28 am »
A "standard" reversible bottom board has a 3/8" (sometimes as large as 1/2") opening on the shallow side and a 3/4" (sometimes as large as 7/8") on the deeper side.  Anything from 1/4" to 1" will work fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 09:54:55 am »
A "standard" reversible bottom board has a 3/8" (sometimes as large as 1/2") opening on the shallow side and a 3/4" (sometimes as large as 7/8") on the deeper side.  Anything from 1/4" to 1" will work fine.
I'm not talking about the opening in the reducer, I'm talking about the overall height of it. When the box is on top of the bottom board, my reducers will not fit in there. I'm going to guess that the others are around 1/2" but my judgement of measurements is not very good.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 09:58:44 am »
I'm talking about the bottom board.  Not a reducer.  A reversible bottom board has two different size openings.  Some of the screened bottoms only have one side that you use and that opening is somewhere between 3/8" and 3/4" usually.  Anything between 1/4" and 1" will work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 10:47:21 am »
I am not sure what you mean by your reducer not fitting.  What doesn't fit?  Maybe a picture? The ones I have don't go in the gap, but in front of it.  Just for future reference, you can use anything for an entrance reducer.  I have used twigs in a pinch  :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 11:38:21 am »
I am not sure what you mean by your reducer not fitting.  What doesn't fit?  Maybe a picture? The ones I have don't go in the gap, but in front of it.  Just for future reference, you can use anything for an entrance reducer.  I have used twigs in a pinch  :grin:
OK, that makes me feel better, I'll keep it and make something work. The reducers fit in the gap in my other hives but the gap for the screened board is not tall enough. For those that just sit in front, do you do anything to hold them in place or do they just sit there?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 11:52:51 am »
> For those that just sit in front, do you do anything to hold them in place or do they just sit there?

I nail them in and never remove them.  I like a 1/4" x 2" opening all  year around.
-------------------

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 01:54:26 pm »
I stick a rock there  :grin:  But really, unless they warp in the weather, it's not a big thing.  MBs idea is probably better.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 10:40:03 pm »
I nail them in and never remove them.  I like a 1/4" x 2" opening all  year around.

Same here except my openings on a full hive are typically 3/4 x 3 inches.  Some are 3/8 x 3.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 09:00:47 pm »
I also run reducers on all my production hives all year, But I also run the 3/8" space bottom board.