Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Netflix Cancelling DVD Service  (Read 766 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Netflix Cancelling DVD Service
« on: April 19, 2023, 11:43:39 am »
I got an e-mail from Netflix today that they are cancelling their DVD shipping service, which is basically irreplaceable to me.  I know I'm probably behind the times here, but my family has had Netflix for almost 20 years, and I watch a HUGE variety of movies, movies from every genre, every decade, every studio.  I can't possibly find that variety in a single streaming service, or even several.  I'm far less into variety in TV series than in movies, and the inability to have almost every movie ever made accessible to watch is going to severely limit my ability to curate my Friday movie night.  I'm super bummed out.  Anyone have any recommendations on how to replace DVD Netflix?  What streaming services have you tried, and which have you liked?  Which have the best selection of movies?     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Netflix Cancelling DVD Service
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 11:59:04 am »
From NPR
Netflix will end its DVD-by-mail service
April 18, 20235:54 PM ET
By

The Associated Press

A Netflix DVD envelope is shown in 2022 in San Francisco. Netflix is poised to shut down its DVD-by-mail rental service.
Michael Liedtke/AP
SAN FRANCISCO ? Netflix is poised to shut down the DVD-by-mail rental service that set the stage for its trailblazing video streaming service, ending an era that began a quarter century ago when delivering discs through the mail was considered a revolutionary concept.

The DVD service, which still delivers films and TV shows in the red-and-white envelopes that once served as Netflix's emblem, plans to mail its final discs on Sept. 29.

Netflix ended March with 232.5 million worldwide subscribers to its video streaming service, but it stopped disclosing how many people still pay for DVD-by-mail delivery years ago as that part of its business steadily shrank. The DVD service generated $145.7 million in revenue last year, which translated into somewhere between 1.1 million and 1.3 million subscribers, based on the average prices paid by customers.

1A
Netflix, The Streaming Wars, And The Future Of American Entertainment
The growth of Netflix's video streaming service has been slowing down over the past year, prompting management to put more emphasis on boosting profits. That focus may have also contributed to the decision to close an operation that was becoming a financial drain.

But the DVD service was once Netflix's biggest money maker.

Shortly before Netflix broke it off from video streaming in 2011, the DVD-by-mail service boasted more than 16 million subscribers. That number has steadily dwindled and the service's eventual demise became apparent as the idea of waiting for the U.S. Postal Service to deliver entertainment became woefully outdated.

But the DVD-by-mail service still has die-hard fans who continue to subscribe because they treasure finding obscure movies that are aren't widely available on video streaming. Many subscribers still wax nostalgic about opening their mailbox and seeing the familiar red-and-white envelopes awaiting them instead of junk mail and a stack of bills.

"Those iconic red envelopes changed the way people watched shows and movies at home ? and they paved the way for the shift to streaming," Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos wrote in a blog post about the DVD service's forthcoming shutdown.

The service's history dates back to 1997 when Netflix co-founder Marc Randolph went to a post office in Santa Cruz, California, to mail a Patsy Cline compact disc to his friend and fellow co-founder Reed Hastings. Randolph, Netflix's original CEO, wanted to test whether a disc could be delivered through the U.S. Postal Service without being damaged, hoping eventually to do the same thing with the still-new format that became the DVD.

The Patsy Cline CD arrived at Hastings' home unblemished, prompting the duo in 1998 to launch a DVD-by-mail rental website that they always knew would be supplanted by even more convenient technology.

"It was planned obsolescence, but our bet was that it would take longer for it to happen than most people thought at the time," Randolph said in an interview with The Associated Press last year across the street from the Santa Cruz post office where he mailed the Patsy Cline CD. Hastings replaced Randolph as Netflix's CEO a few years after its inception, a job he didn't relinquish until stepping down in January.

With just a little over five months of life remaining, the DVD service has shipped more than 5 billion discs across the U.S. ? the only country in which it ever operated. Its ending echoes the downfall of the thousands of Blockbuster video rental stores that closed because they couldn't counter the threat posed by Netflix's DVD-by-mail alternative.

Even subscribers who remain loyal to the DVD service could see the end coming as they noticed the shrinking selection in a library that once boasted more than 100,000 titles. Some customers also have reported having to wait longer for discs to be delivered as Netflix closed dozens of DVD distribution centers with the shift to streaming.

"Our goal has always been to provide the best service for our members but as the business continues to shrink that's going to become increasingly difficult," Sarandos acknowledged in his blog post.

Netflix rebranded the rental service as DVD.com ? a prosaic name that was settled upon after Hastings floated the idea of calling it Qwikster, an idea that was widely ridiculed. The DVD service has been operating from a non-descript office in Fremont, California, located about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Netflix's sleek campus in Los Gatos, California.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 07:41:45 pm »
Do you have Amazon Prime?  If so, you have Prime Video.  One of the big advantages of Prime Video is that you can add and cancel other services at will easily, and so try them out.  Most have free trial periods for new subscribers.

Some cell services have free streaming as part of their offerings.  T-mobile has Apple TV and Netflix.  One of the others has Paramount + I think.

Honestly, I'd try several and not be afraid to cancel them and try others.  You can always go back to them later.  Which you choose depends on what you like to watch.  I have a couple of Brit channels added to my Prime because I like the cop shows and a few of the comedies.  I have HBO + and Netflix too.  Just dumped for a while until I have exhausted the others.

I started with Netflix DVDs too  :grin:
Have to admit that I was surprised they were still doing that.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 08:28:24 pm »
Do you have Amazon Prime?  If so, you have Prime Video.  One of the big advantages of Prime Video is that you can add and cancel other services at will easily, and so try them out.  Most have free trial periods for new subscribers.

Some cell services have free streaming as part of their offerings.  T-mobile has Apple TV and Netflix.  One of the others has Paramount + I think.

Honestly, I'd try several and not be afraid to cancel them and try others.  You can always go back to them later.  Which you choose depends on what you like to watch.  I have a couple of Brit channels added to my Prime because I like the cop shows and a few of the comedies.  I have HBO + and Netflix too.  Just dumped for a while until I have exhausted the others.

I started with Netflix DVDs too  :grin:
Have to admit that I was surprised they were still doing that.
Thanks for responding, Kathy.  I've been comparing and contrasting the different services.  It's interesting to hear that you sort of rotate between them, since my sister and I had been talking about that as a possibility, to get the most variety.  Since I'm using this primarily for movies, I think I'm just going to switch over to streaming Netflix and start there.  I've become rather disillusioned with Warner Bros. (HBO Max) lately, although I hear their selection of older movies is good.  We don't have Amazon Prime, as we live too far out in the boonies to use a lot of the shipping perks, and we're not so into instant gratification that we need two-day shipping.  We are still using snail mail to get DVDs from Netflix after all.  :grin:  I'll have to see if Verizon offers any package deals.  Around here Verizon is the only option for (semi)reliable cell service, and my parents FINALLY decided to look into getting a smartphone, since (as I predicted) they could really use an updated device for mobile banking and their flip phones that are basically free from the phone company hardly perform even the basic function of calling, much less texting.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 08:31:53 pm »
You might look into T-mobile and see if they have upgraded in your area.  For years Verizon was my only choice too, but T-mobile has made an effort to get into rural areas with both cell service and internet service.  I have both through them and am saving a ton of money.

You must have pretty good internet if you can stream!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 10:56:22 pm »
You might look into T-mobile and see if they have upgraded in your area.  For years Verizon was my only choice too, but T-mobile has made an effort to get into rural areas with both cell service and internet service.  I have both through them and am saving a ton of money.

You must have pretty good internet if you can stream!
Good to know.  We actually get internet from a local company, and it's pretty good usually, although it's been spotty this week. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 12:10:27 am »
If you decide to check into them, go directly to the company and not through a franchise store.  Some of their stores are directly owned and some are not.  They are working on shedding Sprint stuff. 

We were lucky to be where we could get their internet service along with cell service and our internet is so much better for only 30 dollars a month unlimited.  It was 50 a month until we switched our cell service too.  After decades with Verizon, they jacked up my rates once to often and their service had really gone in the dumper. 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 08:39:22 am »
We don't have Amazon Prime, as we live too far out in the boonies to use a lot of the shipping perks, and we're not so into instant gratification that we need two-day shipping.   
The biggest perk is free shipping.  Being out in the boonies would be an advantage I would think.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 09:35:09 am »
Prime is really worth it for those of out in the country. A lot of items are delivered in a day or two and what is surprising is when you can get an item delivered for less than the shipping cost and get it the next day. I just ordered and received a 8 gig micro SD chip that I could not buy from the Walmart Super store. Cost $6. It had to bee 8 gig to install firmware on a 3d printer motherboard.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2023, 11:36:54 am »
The biggest perk is free shipping.  Being out in the boonies would be an advantage I would think.
Prime is really worth it for those of out in the country. A lot of items are delivered in a day or two and what is surprising is when you can get an item delivered for less than the shipping cost and get it the next day. I just ordered and received a 8 gig micro SD chip that I could not buy from the Walmart Super store. Cost $6. It had to bee 8 gig to install firmware on a 3d printer motherboard.
Jim Altmiller
But you can already get free shipping on almost everything on Amazon if you just spend $25, which is pretty easy to coordinate. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2023, 11:48:27 am »
But you can already get free shipping on almost everything on Amazon if you just spend $25, which is pretty easy to coordinate.

That's true and I usually do, but I also get Prime Video which is really good and Prime first reads which gives me a free book each month.  Basic Prime Music is included and there are discounts for low income and students for membership.  Prime gaming is included which can give you some free games and tons of free add-on perks.

IDK.  Depends on what you use.

I almost didn't renew my membership when they raised the price, but when I thought about the price of gas, and trying to find the things I order all the time elsewhere, + all the other things I do use like the streaming service, it still turned out to be worth it.
It's a calculation you have to make based on what you think you will use.  Might be worth a one month try out if you are thinking about it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 12:10:52 pm »
We don't have Amazon Prime, as we live too far out in the boonies to use a lot of the shipping perks, and we're not so into instant gratification that we need two-day shipping.   

For sure.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.