Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Giant Asian Hornet now invading US.  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Giant Asian Hornet now invading US.
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:41 am »
> The theory is, there was a large forest that stretched from Asia to Africa millions of years ago.  The Apis genus flourished all along that forest.  Climates changed, creating a rift in that jungle, separating the population.

Yes due to the warm fires 🔥 the cave men used to cook and ward off attacks from wild animals. Not to mention all the fossil fuels those dumb cave mens omitted into the atmosphere. Lol J/K Cap.  The climate has and will continue to change.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Giant Asian Hornet now invading US.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 02:33:02 pm »
Some terrifying and very educational videos of the Japanese Giant Hornet:

30 Japanese Giant Hornets vs.  30,000 bees
Yes, just 30 vs 30,000.  In 3 hours...
Terrifying for a hive and beekeeper.  :(
Amazing videography but very sad video:

https://youtu.be/EZ1eAM8CChc

Video of a human sting experiment from the Japanese Giant Hornet:

https://youtu.be/i7VMcMJBjD4

Follow up review and discussion 12-hours after the sting in the video above.

https://youtu.be/YR6RZ4ITqyw

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:40 pm »
This guy is a New Zealander, and has been living in Japan for 25 years.  He has a number of videos about beekeeping and the pests involved.  It seems the Japanese use glue traps to catch them, and while they struggle, colony mates try to come to attack whatever is bothering the trapped one.

I remember when the biggest problem I had with honeybees was getting stung...

https://youtu.be/PCaTQ_8F3vY
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2020, 08:16:53 pm »
Ha Ha!  Ben, yep, but not over a period of 50 years!
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2020, 11:57:29 pm »
Time to inject some humor into this topic ...

...  :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 12:34:52 am »
Haha!   :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 12:36:07 am »
So befitting of the times!  Ha!

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:53 am »
Here is how to trap them

good information, I couldn't help thinking, 2020 sees new breed of bounty hunters, when reading

All worthy post, and I loved the cartoon

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 09:36:48 am »
Another interesting article

In Japan, the ?Murder Hornet? Is Both a Lethal Threat and a Tasty Treat - Long before the insects found their way to American shores, some Japanese prized them for their numbing crunch and the venomous buzz they add to liquor.

Here is the link if you want to read more  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/world/asia/murder-hornet-japan.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200506&instance_id=18254&nl=the-morning&regi_id=77652489&segment_id=26699&te=1&user_id=e1e75eb657191a937f1da779bbb42a06

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 02:48:22 pm »
I seem to be reporting some "fake news" here, it turns out the common name for the insect in Japan is "ōsuzumebachi," meaning "great sparrow bee."  But there was a few popular media outlets that referred to the hornet as "satsujin suzumebachi," or "murder hornet."  That got sent to a New York Times reporter and stuck.  No pun intended...

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 03:01:59 pm »
I seem to be reporting some "fake news" here, it turns out the common name for the insect in Japan is "ōsuzumebachi," meaning "great sparrow bee."  But there was a few popular media outlets that referred to the hornet as "satsujin suzumebachi," or "murder hornet."  That got sent to a New York Times reporter and stuck.  No pun intended...

It seems there may have been some name confusion due to reclassification of subspecies a while back, but the reports in general are correct even though many people still call it the Japanese Giant Hornet, or lesser accepted Murder Hornet.  The bottom line is the Asian Giant Hornet (Vespa mandarinia) it is, without question.  Here's a link below to Washington State's Dept. of Agriculture page which confirms two verified reports.  It also indicates that the hornets were also discovered in Canada in late 2019 as well...I hadn't heard about that.

<snippet from WSDA page>

Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia) is the world's largest species of hornet. In December 2019, WSDA received and verified two reports of Asian giant hornet near Blaine. These are the first-ever sighting in the United States. Canada had also discovered Asian giant hornet in two locations in British Columbia in the fall of 2019.

<snippet from WSDA page>

WSDA source page:

https://agr.wa.gov/departments/insects-pests-and-weeds/insects/hornets

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 10:07:53 pm »
Here's a voice of reason.  It seems they haven't found more than one nest, but they did find a colony in British Columbia, and a dead hornet in Blaine Washington.  I'm getting mixed results from this, this article says they think the hornet from Washington is from the colony that was destroyed in BC.

University of California - Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources:
The Hornet Wars: 'A Bloody Dumpster Fire'
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=41403&fbclid=IwAR08WSQ3yVV2KPt5LgU74z-CfsVm5BX8QBZJjB4TJtrYp30P37OAvlIvM7c

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 11:56:32 pm »
Here's a voice of reason.  It seems they haven't found more than one nest, but they did find a colony in British Columbia, and a dead hornet in Blaine Washington.  I'm getting mixed results from this, this article says they think the hornet from Washington is from the colony that was destroyed in BC.

University of California - Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources:
The Hornet Wars: 'A Bloody Dumpster Fire'
https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=41403&fbclid=IwAR08WSQ3yVV2KPt5LgU74z-CfsVm5BX8QBZJjB4TJtrYp30P37OAvlIvM7c

I hope the article is correct and that is the end of it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:09:17 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 12:03:27 am »
If they are in BC they will soon be here also? No natural barriers to stop them? I haven?t read the article yet. How many miles inland where they found?
Supposedly the nest in BC was eradicated and they think the dead one found in Blaine may have been from there. Approx 32 miles from Vancouver to Blaine via roads (not as the hornet flies.)  ;)  Blaine is the first US town that you enter from the Peace Arch border crossing.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 12:12:06 am »
Thanks  Jurassic, I read and modified my statement while you were posting. I hope that is the end of the road for these invaders of North America for now anyway. Thanks for your response.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:14 am »
Yeah, I hope it's done too.  This stuff just keeps writing itself...

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
Giant Asian Hornet now invading US.
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2020, 02:59:51 am »
Yeah, I hope it's done too.  This stuff just keeps writing itself...
Hahaha, that?s funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Indeed, BD, let?s hope this has been snuffed.  It?s definitely not an enemy any of us want to contend with.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 06:08:57 pm »
We have had the Japanese version since the late 80s. They will grab a forager now and then from the front of the hive, but they are not in sufficient numbers to present a problem to bees or people. They are probably 4x the weight of a normal hornet. The sting is quite unpleasant. Imagine holding 4-5 honeybees to the same spot. My leg heated up and swelled for an hour and the initial pain of the sting was probably 7-8 minutes as if it was still stinging. It left a dent below my skin and eventually a small scar.

However, I stand by what I said. They are no threat to us, or 99.999% of our bees. Just another story to stoke fear and sell advertising. imo

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:23 pm »
We have had the Japanese version since the late 80s. They will grab a forager now and then from the front of the hive, but they are not in sufficient numbers to present a problem to bees or people. They are probably 4x the weight of a normal hornet. The sting is quite unpleasant. Imagine holding 4-5 honeybees to the same spot. My leg heated up and swelled for an hour and the initial pain of the sting was probably 7-8 minutes as if it was still stinging. It left a dent below my skin and eventually a small scar.

However, I stand by what I said. They are no threat to us, or 99.999% of our bees. Just another story to stoke fear and sell advertising. imo

Welcome JojoBeeBoy. Where are you located?  I was under the impression that the Japanese version has yet to make it here to America. I may be wrong. I do not want any part of them lol.

anything