Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is YOUR Favorite fictional "series" of books?  (Read 19989 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
What is YOUR Favorite fictional "series" of books?
« on: September 10, 2010, 03:13:38 pm »
I like books with repeat characters on a realist timeline. It is cool to read a character written over 20 years, just to hear about changes in technology over the years - especially in detective stories like I read mostly.

So here is MY favorite SERIES, I do it on Audiobook, read by Jack Reacher. But the author Lee Child is brilliant!

This is the best SERIES I have ever read, by Lee Child, follow the adventures of Ex-Military Trained Jack Reacher, a nomad of sorts, keeping an invisible footprint - he's off the radar. Kidnapping, ransoms, powerful story lines.

Read on Audiobook by Dick Hill (the best reader alive - multiple award winning reader) dick IS Jack Reacher to audiobook fans.

This is worth EVERY PAGE you turn.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

bigbearomaha

Re: What is YOUR Favorite fictional "series" of books?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 03:32:02 pm »
wow. so many good series, as  I mentioned elsewhere Dean Koontz has several good ones out in his Frankenstein series, the Chris snow series (fear no evil, etc..) and the Odd Thomas series as well.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series is excellent.

I thought Stephen Kings Dark Tower Series, following Roland the gun slinger was pretty good for the most part.

Piers Anthony is also known for several read worthy series, one of my favorites being the Tarot series but most people probably more familiar with his Xanth novels.

Obviously, the original book series of Conan by Robert E Howard has filled many a young persons mind.

Anne Rice's series of Vampire Chronicles has been fantastically popular for years now (though I feel they have gone downhill since the original three books)

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman teamed up a long time ago (one of many team ups of theirs) for a fantasy series called the Death Gate Cycle, which  I have always enjoyed.

I'll stop here,  I could go on forever.

Big Bear

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 12:29:46 am »
Frank Herberts "Dune" series.  His son Brian Herbert has a few sequels out ,derived from his fathers unfinished manuscripts,that are in the same style but in my estimation lack the creativeness of his father.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 06:16:13 am »
Dune, yes, and Foundation trilogy by Azimov

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:18:02 am »
The Hobbit and the Trilogy of the Rings by Tolkien.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 10:52:14 am »
louis lamar with david drake a close 2nd.
to bee or not to bee

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 02:45:53 pm »
For light, fun reading, and I do stress light, I have to pick Janet Evanovich.  The "Stephanie Plum" books are a riot!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:03:48 am »
The Hobbit followed by Lord of the Rings is, as Amazon describes it "the Novel of the Millennium".  I'd have to agree.
The Chronicles of Narnia are wonderful.  The Sword of Shannara was pretty good and there is a whole series of those.  I enjoyed Harry Potter despite it being a bit on the trivial side at times.  I've enjoyed all of the "Dirk Pitt" novels by Clive Cussler.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:50:10 am »
Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia are favorites here as well.

For historical fiction, I've enjoyed a number of W.E.B. Griffin books, especially his series The Corps. I like the way he incorporates aspects of WWII that are somewhat obscure.

For Christian fiction, I like Frank Peretti.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 10:00:23 am »
...in the sci fi realm, dune is really great (feels like you are "there" when you are reading it).

also, a big fan of larry niven's "known space" books and stories, as well as Heinlin's later books (which are all related as well).

deknow

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:59:13 pm »
Well, call me what you like but it has to be the Sackett series by Louis L'amour or The Mountain Man series by William Johnstone. I can pick either of them up and not want to put it down til I'm done.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:32 am »
I loved Dune, but the first few were the best, IMO, And yes, I love all of Louis L'amour but the Sacketts are hard to beat...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:53:55 am »
I loved Dune, but the first few were the best, IMO, And yes, I love all of Louis L'amour but the Sacketts are hard to beat...

To the Far Blue Mountains and Jubal are my favorites

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »
  On a different note, Matt Helm, The Destroyer, and the Executioner. Reluctant warriors drawn into unwanted wars.
  The name escapes me but there was a series of books about a kind of intergalactic hospital and the doctors that was interesting.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:51 pm »
Dune was awesome but the movie really sucked. I also liked "The dragon riders of Pern" "Clan of the cave bear" (I like fantasy) and "The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" ...again, that movie was terrible.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 08:57:00 am »
>I also liked "The dragon riders of Pern" "Clan of the cave bear" (I like fantasy) and "The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" ...again, that movie was terrible.

I love all of those.  I think the problem with a book like "Hitchiker's guide" is that it's not the story that is so good, it's the way the author words things that makes it so enjoyable.  I've seen several books like that that did not translate well into movies, not  because they messed with the plot so much as it loses the flavor of the WAY things were said.  I think what saved "Lord of the Rings" was how much of the dialog came straight from the book. No one in Hollywood could write anything to compare with Tolkein's actual words.

-------------------

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:33 am »
clive Cussler and his novels that follow Dirk Pitt are always a good read

Also Anne Rice's vampire chronicles following Lestat the Vampire great books

Keith

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 09:51:13 am »
I like books with repeat characters on a realist timeline. It is cool to read a character written over 20 years, just to hear about changes in technology over the years - especially in detective stories like I read mostly.

If you like detective novels with stable characters over a period of time, I'd suggest the "Mary Russell" series by Laurie King.  The first book in the series is "The Beekeeper's Apprentice".    The series starts before WWI when Sherlock Holmes is a retired sleuth who spends his days studying bees near his home in Sussex.  He meets Mary Russell who impresses him by making observations on his bee study techniques.  She eventually becomes his detective partner and wife.  So far the series consists of 10 books covering a period from 1914 to 1924.  Holmes and Russell are constantly adding new technological  tricks to their detective toolbox.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 09:58:17 am »
Chronicles of Narnia.  I read them all through at least once a year.  Sometimes in published order, sometimes in chronological order.  Love them!

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »
..I think I'm going to read through some of C.S. Lewis' sci fi books again (it's been a while)...out of the silent planet, perlandria, that hideous strenght.  my recolection is that they are nice, and a bit "naive" as far as modern sci fi goes.

deknow

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 04:03:57 pm »
I've enjoyed all of the "Dirk Pitt" novels by Clive Cussler.
 yep me as well, ole Cussler.  Also love the W.E.B. Griffin series of books. Got most of them on my Kindle2 (which rocks!).

Lesse... also Dean Koontz (read all of his old stuff.. Phantom, Lightning etc), Robin Cook, Robert Ludlum (especially like all the Bourne books), John Saul, Michael Connelly, Patricia Cornwell. I could go on and on... but I'll spare you all.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 10:51:41 pm »
I have loved everything by C.S. Lewis.  And all the Clive Cussler books...
-------------------

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 11:22:11 am »
..I think I'm going to read through some of C.S. Lewis' sci fi books again (it's been a while)...out of the silent planet, perlandria, that hideous strenght.  my recolection is that they are nice, and a bit "naive" as far as modern sci fi goes.

deknow

I'm a sci fi nut.  Every year I read all the nominees for the Hugo SF award.  This years nominees are:

Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis (Ballantine Spectra)
Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold (Baen)
The Dervish House by Ian McDonald (Gollancz; Pyr)
Feed by Mira Grant (Orbit)
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 01:45:17 am »

Frame, have you done the whole Vorkosigan series?  just finished it.  started on the Sharing Knife series by same.  really enjoy her writing. her writing reminds me a bit of Robert Jordans stuff.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 06:28:54 pm »
Every year I read all the nominees for the Hugo SF award.

They never gave out a Hugo for 1954....until 2004.  Our band the Lothars (which is significant because we have had up to 4 theremin players at times, and Ramona and I met when I joined the band) played at Noreascon 2004 for the Retro Hugo Awards Ceremony.  We dressed up like 1954 nerds (had to order pocket protectors from some pocket protector website), and played our weird music :)
...I'm on the left, Ramona on the right.

...and if you look through the archive there, you will find a picture of me with a full "Side Show Bob" set of dreadlocks (I actually walked around like that)!  I've got them saved and hidden so Ramona can't make a voodoo doll!
http://www.wobblymusic.com/lothars/LotharsPhotos.php?photo_id=RetroHugos3
I had never heard of "filking" before this event (it's not dirty...but it should be).

deknow (sorry for the OT)

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 11:25:30 pm »
So many authors - so many different styles
I like:
Michael Crichton
Louis L'amoure
Harry Turtledove
Robert Jordan
Robert E. Howard
Tom Clancy
Live long and prosper!

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »
I enjoy historical fiction.  One of my favorites is the Shaara Civil War trilogy:
Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels & The Last Full Measure.

A wonderful read. 

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »
ok just never paid any attention to this section before,  by far my favorite "series" is Louis L'Amour's Sackets
but I also love a lot of other stuff Mc'affery, Auel  piers Anthony, tony hillerman,  (and that's just looking at whats laying on the kitchen table,lol)
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:57 am »
series written by Will James

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 12:04:18 pm »
Just got through the Song of Fire and Ice series (aka Game of Thrones).  Very addicting.  I read most of the Amber series years ago but it wasn't finished and I didn't keep track.  I think I saw the complete set here the other day and I think I'll try to finish it... of course there were twenty plot threads going on and I don't remember any of them now...
-------------------

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 11:54:45 pm »
George McDonald Fraser's hilarious historical fiction series about Harry Flashman.

Flashman is a Victorian cavalry officer antihero "who runs from danger or hides cowering in fear, betrays or abandons acquaintances at the slightest incentive, bullies and beats servants with gusto, beds every available woman, carries off any loot he can grab, and gambles and boozes enthusiastically. Nevertheless, through a combination of luck and cunning, he usually ends each volume acclaimed as a hero."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 09:59:38 am »
>Flashman...

Sounds like the main character in Californication... it takes a really good writer to make a train wreck like that interesting...
-------------------

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 10:15:59 am »
Has anybody read the Wool series by Hugh Howey?  I liked it.

I'll have to look up C.S LEwis' sci-fi stuff.

Loved Louis L'amour when I was young - i'll have to revisit him!!

Don't get near as much quality reading done as I used to :(.

love,
ziffa