BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Buying used equipment?

(1/4) > >>

Nock:
Looking at some used equipment at a online auction. If I get any wood equipment should I clean before using?  What about drawn frames? 

iddee:
Although there is a slight chance of getting AFB from it, the chance is very slight. I imagine all other replies will tell you to not buy it, I have saved thousands of dollars buying used equipment and the only AFB I have ever had came in with occupied hives, not empty equipment.

Robo:
I agree with iddee,  if you can get a good deal and the combs are newer and not old black.  Of course knowing why the equipment is for sale helps too,  if they were winter losses then AFB is even more unlikely.    Key is to get a good deal AND the equipment is in good shape.   A good deal is not a good deal if the equipment isn't in top shape.   I would ozone the combs for a few days just as a precaution.   That is what I do with winter loss combs.

Nock:
The old man that owned it all passed away. I guess it?s a estate sale. I?m going to put some bids in and go from there. Thanks.

Acebird:
Estate sale ... can you look first?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version