Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extracted frames  (Read 1200 times)

Offline QueenBee422

• New Bee
Extracted frames
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:44:54 pm »
Hello.  I am extracting today (2nd time - last time was 2020).  What do I do with the extracted frames?  I have only one established hive and two nucs.  I can put one box of extracted frames on my established hive but what do I do with the rest?  I have read I can set  them 100 yards from the apiary - is that right?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 04:04:07 pm by QueenBee422 »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Extracted frames
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 04:31:51 pm »
Hello.  I am extracting today (2nd time - last time was 2020).  What do I do with the extracted frames?  I have only one established hive and two nucs.  I can put one box of extracted frames on my established hive but what do I do with the rest?  I have read I can set  them 100 yards from the apiary - is that right?
Yes. If I can?t put the frames back in the hives I put them 100 feet or more from the hives. I have found that it is best to always put the frames in the same location. Bees find them much faster when they are in the same location. Do it early in the day so that they have chance of removing most of the honey before nightfall. Everything else will find it after dark especially roaches.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:40:44 pm »
I left some slimed frames out and the dadburn goat got them.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Extracted frames
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 03:15:48 am »
100 yards is much farther than necessary, and probably too far.
15-30 yards (50- 100 feet) would be about right for the one hive and nucs. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:28:16 am »
100 yds is plenty far away to not cause any robbing.  Just be sure to freeze the frames that were sitting outside before using them again to kill any wax moth or hive beetle eggs that may have been laid on them. 

I left some slimed frames out and the dadburn goat got them.
:cheesy:  How did that happen?  Did you put them in the goat pasture?  I had a goat ALMOST get a frame of brood I had left out for the chickens once.  I'd figured since it was brood he wouldn't be interested, but you should never assume that with goats.  :wink: :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 07:32:23 am »
I have seen a frenzy over wets.  100 yards is a good plan.  Putting them on strong hives is probably better.  Never give them to weak hives.  If you need to boost a weak hive, steal a few frames of capped honey from a strong hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything