Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee Here - Need help with acronym in post I read  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Busybee58

• New Bee
Newbee Here - Need help with acronym in post I read
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:10:20 pm »
TF hives often die out in yr 2- how to avoid it?  - What does "TF" stand for, I cannot figure it out. Google doesn't know lol :shocked:

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
Re: Newbee Here - Need help with acronym in post I read
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 09:21:50 pm »
Treatment Free
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 10:54:06 pm »
Yep, treatment free. The acronyms can be a little rough at first. My favorite is SBB which can be either solid bottom board or screened bottom board.  :shocked:  :cheesy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 12:08:01 am »
TF hives often die out in yr 2- how to avoid it?  - What does "TF" stand for, I cannot figure it out. Google doesn't know lol :shocked:

Bustbee58, Being you are new to beekeeping you might not yet know of Varroa Destructor. Treatment Free is often referred to when a beekeeper chooses to 'not' treat for 'Varroa Destructor'. There has been much discussion here at beemasteer about this pest. TheHoneyPump, In aid to The15thMember wrote an excellent piece on this creature with excellent pictures. In fact it is one of the best articles on Varroa that I have read.

Below is a quick explanation from Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Varroa Destructor
Varroa mite
Varroa destructor, 1 2019-09-06-19.12.07 ZS PMax UDR (48697155713).jpg
Varroa destructor2 2019-09-06-19.10.23 ZS PMax UDR (48697673082).jpg
Varroa destructor adult female in dorsal (top) and ventral (lower) views
Scientific classification edit
Kingdom:   Animalia
Phylum:   Arthropoda
Subphylum:   Chelicerata
Class:   Arachnida
Order:   Mesostigmata
Family:   Varroidae
Genus:   Varroa
Species:   V. destructor
Binomial name
Varroa destructor

Anderson & Trueman, 2000
Varroa destructor (Varroa mite) is an external parasitic mite that attacks and feeds on the honey bees Apis cerana and Apis mellifera. The disease caused by the mites is called varroosis.

The Varroa mite can reproduce only in a honey bee colony. It attaches to the body of the bee and weakens the bee by sucking fat bodies.[1] The species is a vector for at least five debilitating bee viruses,[1] including RNA viruses such as the deformed wing virus (DWV). A significant mite infestation leads to the death of a honey bee colony, usually in the late autumn through early spring. The Varroa mite is the parasite with possibly the most pronounced economic impact on the beekeeping industry. Varroa is considered to be one of multiple stress factors[2] contributing to the higher levels of bee losses around the world.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 01:17:25 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 12:11:43 am »
This is the excellent article wrote by: TheHoneyPump

A SAD DAY IN THE BEE YARD
                   REAGAN'S HIVE COLLAPSE
                        RIP QUEEN CLEO

A TYPICAL CASE OFCOLONY COLLAPSE
                       PARASITIC MITE SYNDROME, PMS
                          VARROA DESTRUCTOR MITE

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NvP-olm7vwMxPVH-Oi1CNHH70Wq913ym/view
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Busybee58

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:06:44 am »
Thanks everyone!! SO much to learn, which is why I'm so glad I found you all  :cool:

For whoever reads this, is there anyone in Central Florida that can give me tips regarding special needs for Florida weather?

1. Obviously heat will be an issue, the hive I bought has a solid bottom, I'm going to assume a screened bottom would work better, more ventilation and from what I've read, helps with beetles and watching for mites?
2. Rain...humidity also an issue.  I plan to either put the hives under a roofed structure (like a lean-to) to help keep the hard rains off, or just put an extended metal roof on top of the hives to basically do the same thing.
3. Sun - I've read to keep the hives in the sun, but Florida sun is brutal. We have a huge live oak tree that might better serve as a location to better protect and give some shade.

Again, thanks, and I'm enjoying reading the various posts and will read the links provided for sure.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:12:17 am »
Busy bee,
Please see the new sticky topic that I just started called Beekeeping Acronyms. Your post gave me the idea. Thanks.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:25 am »
Busybee,  Where did you move from?  I am from Upstate NY.
All insects like heat and humidity.  There is no shortage of insects in FL.  You can do like Jim does and place an insulation board under the cover.  It could also go on top.  Personally I think it is the lack of an extended cold in FL that makes it more difficult to battle varroa destructor.  Rain is not a problem.  There are way, way, way move days of sunshine here in FL then where I came from.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Busybee58

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 12:20:58 pm »
Ace Bird, I'm from Chicago, we've been here in Brooksville for 26 years. 

I see you're in Jupiter, that doesn't get anywhere near as cold as we do here.  We usually get a short freeze or two a couple times a year, last couple of mornings have been in the 40's or so, then warm up to nice temps.

That leads to another question I have (one of so many more) ... are there any times you close the hive so they cannot get out?  Bad storms, etc.?  I plan to protect well so rain cannot get in, but I imagine they always need good air flow, which is why I think the screen bottom is a good idea in Florida (just my guessing) so should they always have access to get out if they want/need to, again, my guess would be yes, just perhaps reduced during cold or rain?

And you're right Florida weather in general does beat the north (just hate hurricane season).  Thanks.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 01:49:51 pm »
Yes, bees survive all over Florida. But why not give them a better chance to thrive?

I?ve found:
Best for Florida bees
Screened bottom board for sure.
Add runners or cleats underneath to lift it and slide a West Beetle Trap underneath.  Great way to monitor health of the hive. Use a few ounces if oil & water in the trap underneath.  It?s sealed so bees won?t get in it.
Use Dixie H700/Swiffer unscented for Hive beetle control inside.

Heat & heavy wind ?
Afternoon shade if you have it.
Very early morning inspections in hot weather to avoid comb liquification.
Use insulation board like pink foam board or aluminum faced foam in the telescoping lid.
Spent the $12 for a ventilated inner lid and put some screen on it. Same purpose as an architectural cupola - lets heat escape.  The bees will fan and control the heat based on the conditions. The west beetle trap can be sort of a swamp cooler I suppose if there?s water in it.

If you hear the bees roaring like a sports car it?s too hot. 
Use a slatted rack when the colony is big enough to patrol it (one packed box)
Put a foam sheet or plywood underneath as hurricane prep. Ratchet strap to a sturdy hive stand or
Close up with the robbing screen and put them in the garage.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 02:24:53 pm »
somewhere in these post DSBB, STB, DSBB/OP fits right in, and on and on, keeps you thinking.

anything