Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Butchering Our First Goat  (Read 6041 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Butchering Our First Goat
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 07:56:22 am »
The15th
2.5 lbs of tallow to make into soap.
Sound like more then I got off two deer over the last few days. Didn't weigh it but got about 1.5 quart baggies worth.
Cheers
gww

Congratulations to you and your family for your accomplishments.

gww
Normally I would not get much fat off of deer here with the exception of one season I was invited to hunt in a huge river bottom behind the Mississippi River Levee in Tunica Ms. Those deer were loaded in fat! I was amazed as I had never seen so much fat on deer.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:29:24 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 02:28:02 am »
I have seen inch thick down the back but that is not normal here.
Cheers
gww

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 02:00:46 pm »
The other person who does a lot of hunting is Iddee.  IDK if he's really gone but he can give you some good tips too if you need more.  Maybe he'll join that thread.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 03:03:49 pm »
The other person who does a lot of hunting is Iddee.  IDK if he's really gone but he can give you some good tips too if you need more.  Maybe he'll join that thread.

Yes you are correct. He would be a good teacher: I hope he will help Member.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:28:10 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2021, 08:08:18 pm »
I shot a deer here on my property that had more fat on it than my 1000 pound buffalo had and I?m not exaggerating.
My neighbor was feeding/fatting up the deer for almost a year. He was not happy when he found out that I got it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2021, 10:13:51 pm »
I?m a little late and don?t have any domestic goat experience, but antelope and deer are very similar. Those front shanks are the best part. Next time, keep the shanks out of the grind and wear then braise them. Serve in the gravy over mashed potatoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2021, 10:22:47 pm »
I?m a little late and don?t have any domestic goat experience, but antelope and deer are very similar. Those front shanks are the best part. Next time, keep the shanks out of the grind and wear then braise them. Serve in the gravy over mashed potatoes.
Those pictures are not as related as you are assuming.  We didn't grind up the legs; that's just a picture of the legs, and a picture of the ground meat, which was from trimmings.  :smile: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Butchering Our First Goat
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2021, 10:41:14 pm »
Ah.
I add 20% ribeye fat to my grind. It?s pretty cheap if you ask the butcher at the grocery store to keep it for you. I sometimes get it from a fried that raises and sells meat at farmers markets.

As far as the loins go, a lot of game meat or lean meat needs to be med-rare, braised or roasted down long and low to be edible. I do a venison back strap on the grill with a coat of olive oil, salt and pepper and a minced garlic clove for about 5 minutes on each side and let rest. It?s pretty ?juicy? if you can stand that but it?s good. I like a spoon of horseradish on the plate to dip into.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2021, 10:42:23 pm »
Do you like potstickers? I have a god recipe for that.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2021, 12:22:54 am »
Ah.
I add 20% ribeye fat to my grind. It?s pretty cheap if you ask the butcher at the grocery store to keep it for you. I sometimes get it from a fried that raises and sells meat at farmers markets.

As far as the loins go, a lot of game meat or lean meat needs to be med-rare, braised or roasted down long and low to be edible. I do a venison back strap on the grill with a coat of olive oil, salt and pepper and a minced garlic clove for about 5 minutes on each side and let rest. It?s pretty ?juicy? if you can stand that but it?s good. I like a spoon of horseradish on the plate to dip into.
Do you like potstickers? I have a god recipe for that.
I've actually never had potstickers, but I know people who rave about them.  My mom will take any recipes you have for meat like this.  She's never cooked with it before and is looking for any help she can get. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Butchering Our First Goat
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 12:32:45 am »
I?d suggest buying some good wild game cook books. I?ve always thought there was a similarity between venison and goat/sheep.
These books are kinda high end on the ingredients. Once the pantry is stocked though, you have spices and seasonings to keep exploring.

I?ve done the home made wrappers and the store bought ones. They are both good, the home made ones are more fun, but there is a time investment in them. If you don?t want to spend hours making an event out of it, I would stay away from these books. But if it?s about the journey just as much as it is the destination, the it?s $25 well spent on a good cookbook.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 01:13:29 am by .30WCF »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2021, 10:53:04 am »
I?d suggest buying some good wild game cook books. I?ve always thought there was a similarity between venison and goat/sheep.
These books are kinda high end on the ingredients. Once the pantry is stocked though, you have spices and seasonings to keep exploring.

I?ve done the home made wrappers and the store bought ones. They are both good, the home made ones are more fun, but there is a time investment in them. If you don?t want to spend hours making an event out of it, I would stay away from these books. But if it?s about the journey just as much as it is the destination, the it?s $25 well spent on a good cookbook.

Thanks so much, I'll pass that along to her.  :happy:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2021, 11:01:47 am »
I used to have cook books but now can find almost any recipe with just internet searches.
Cheers
gww