Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Seeb's flowers & a beekeeping question  (Read 4351 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
Seeb's flowers & a beekeeping question
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:22:16 am »
My grandmother gave me a cutting off her Thanksgiving cactus when I was still a teenager, and this is from her mother plant.
I love giant Zinnia's and always plant enough to share with friends.  Just noticed that squirrel on the light pole - he was probably waiting for me to leave so he could raid my veg garden.

Question:  Zinnia's are big butterfly/moth attractants. Will Zinnia's attract the wax moth that takes over our hives?

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Seeb's flowers & a beekeeping question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 02:42:35 pm »
Gorgeous flowers, especially that Christmas cactus!  I have a tiny one on a desk, and it's no where near as happy as that!  I'm pretty sure that the wax moths do not eat at all during their adult phase, so I doubt that any flowers would serve as attractants for them. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:20:17 pm »
I was wondering if I would be smart not to plant them since I'm getting back into bees this year, thanks for your input 15th

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:34:59 pm »
I was wondering if I would be smart not to plant them since I'm getting back into bees this year, thanks for your input 15th

Seeb, I would encourage you to continue planting them for the beauty and splendor. Your flowers are very nice.
Thanks for posting,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:45:38 pm »
Thanks Phillip - I will!

Offline KellyBeeFriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 10:14:35 am »
Don?t know about the wax moths but your bees will like them :-)

Plant away
Keep Calm and Keep Bees

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 02:47:31 pm »
Wax moths only take over weak hives.  Keep your space restricted to only what your colony can manage and it won't matter how many moths are around.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch