Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame Spacing: 8 Frame v. 10 Frame  (Read 8502 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Frame Spacing: 8 Frame v. 10 Frame
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2023, 12:20:40 pm »
Member when I switched to poly I switched hive tools for this reason-- no space to slide frames around.  I used to use the "pry bar/scraper" style with the flat blade on one end and the 90* blade on the other. Now I use the flat blade and frame hook style.  I like it! But the particular one I have is too long; Bill Murray has one that he custom made about 6 inches long with the frame hook on it, is ideal.
I have a mini J-hook tool that I got at a bee place in South Carolina, and I don't know what I'd do without it.  I wish I could find another one this small because I'd like to buy a second one in case I lose it.  I love how I can just keep it in my palm when I'm holding a frame and then it's always right there.  I have an standard 9 in. tool for cracking boxes and scraping frames clean, but I use the little tool for everything else.

when I switched to poly

You use poly hives, Matt?  Hmmm . . . I'm thinking a thought.  I'll e-mail it to you.  :wink:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 01:11:01 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
https://maranathahomestead.weebly.com/

Offline animal

• Super Bee
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2023, 01:42:22 pm »
sniff sniff ... both in NC .. a trade offer in the wind ?  :cheesy: whatever the case, hope all works out for y'all !
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2023, 02:34:56 pm »
sniff sniff ... both in NC .. a trade offer in the wind ?  :cheesy: whatever the case, hope all works out for y'all !
Mmaaayyybeeee . . . .  :wink:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2023, 08:06:28 pm »
Mmaaayyybeeee . . . .  :wink:   
A quick weather report: the trade winds are blowing favorably.  :wink: :cheesy:

Offline animal

• Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2023, 10:51:52 pm »
A little off subject ... over the years, I've bought 3 cars from my neighbor. Never haggled, just paid what he asked (almost unheard of for me). All three times he was frustrated because of repairs he had made to them and fed up with the car. Anyway, I never had undue trouble with any of them. I knew he took good care of them and figure he worked the kinks out of them for me ... not sure what he thinks of it. Just FWIW ...  To each his own.. :smile:
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2023, 09:17:15 pm »
Just wanted to follow up on this thread in case it's helpful to anyone in the future.  I got this colony into one of my normal wooden hives, and I was cleaning up this equipment, so I decided to correct all the frame rests.  The top picture shows how I had the rests installed, and the bottom two pictures show the rest installed correctly.  I turned the plastic piece over, so it was positioned like a ride-side-up L, and then pushed the short leg all the way into the groove cut in the wall.  It seems sturdy now, and it would definitely affect the spacing.  Still glad I'm getting rid of the stuff, but at least we figured out what was wrong.  Thanks to everyone who helped, and a big thanks to Matt for being willing to trade.  I'm extremely happy to have all my bees back in my normal equipment.  :happy: