Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow the bloom 2021  (Read 19194 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Follow the bloom 2021
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:25:47 am »
It is time. 

About half of the bees returning to the hive are bringing in pollen.  Most is hi-vis orange...maybe ornamental cabbage?
A little is white. It's not the Sasanqua Camellias which are still in bloom - their pollen is yellow.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: Follow the bloom 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 12:10:06 pm »
Great to see that your bees are active. The bees in my neck of the woods will not have any flying das for another 8 weeks.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 05:27:55 pm »
Got a white and orange colored pollen coming into my hives right now. The yellow probably is Spanish Needle but not sure about the white. Just noticed that some of the maples are starting to bud which is real early this year and could be the source of the white pollen. 

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 09:14:21 pm »
It's crazy.
I always thought spring started in March/April around here, but after I started making bee notes last year, I realize maple trees will be blooming a week and a half from now. Being a beek has changed my whole seasonal outlook.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 08:49:07 pm »
Southern Red Cedar is putting out yellow pollen here.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 10:15:16 pm »
Strange that bees will pull pollen from one type of camelia, but leave other varieties alone.
My bees are pulling in a lot of pollen right now.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 10:45:48 pm »
Strange that bees will pull pollen from one type of camelia, but leave other varieties alone.
Maybe those other varieties are pollenless.  Sometimes flowers bred for a specific color or petal type end up sterile. 

Also, Jim, shouldn't this thread be stickied?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 10:53:16 pm »
Yes.
🙂
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 11:41:02 pm »
15, True, about the hybrids. I have past work experience in the nursery business, but the whole bee aspect is something that never came up. We dealt with issues like sterility in a hybrid, not whether it provides nectar.
At HoneyPumps encouragement, I keep hive notes, and that includes everything I see blooming in our county. I am surprised at how many flowering plants are ignored by honey bees.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 02:06:18 pm »
An update from the west coast: eucalyptus, some almonds, and a few decorative Plums have begun flowering. Nectar has begun to flow. A little early though. I just harvested 45 lbs of honey, to make room in a couple hives.

We had very little rain till now - temps up into the low 70's. Now it's decided to storm good. Our forecast is for 30%(+/-) of the years rain in the next 7 days*. There's snow on the hills behind the house. That should wash our the nectar, and reset the bloom to mid February, putting it back on schedule.

*we get around 15 inches of rain per yr here, and there's 4-5 inches in the forecast. Around 2 inches fell last night.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 02:08:19 pm »
Also: the Redbuds are swelling in preparation for bloom. We should see them pop open in 3 weeks, I'm guessing. Should be in "full nectar flow" by then.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:28:36 pm by CoolBees »
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 02:15:54 pm »
Also: the Redbuds are swelling in preparation for bloom. We should see them poo open in 3 weeks, I'm guessing. Should be in "full nectar flow" by then.

Alan it is very nice to see that you are posting. Glad you are still active!! Welcome my friend!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 02:44:57 pm »
ALAN!!!  YOU'RE ALIVE!!  :grin:  Seriously though, you had me worried there, man.  You haven't even logged on since like August!  I figured something happened to you!   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 02:56:47 pm »
I agree Member! You two hold a special place for me here at beemaster since we three started posting here about the same time..  My classmates lol....
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 03:20:42 pm »
I agree Member! You two hold a special place for me here at beemaster since we three started posting here about the same time..  My classmates lol....
It's true!  The only problem with that metaphor is that one can never graduate from beekeeping!  :wink: :cheesy:  There's always more to learn.  :happy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 03:24:43 pm »
It's true!  The only problem with that metaphor is that one can never graduate from beekeeping!  :wink: :cheesy:  There's always more to learn.  :happy:

Totally agree and well said!!  Adding an Amen!
 :wink: :happy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 06:58:22 pm »
Thanks Ben & 15th.  :grin: :grin: :grin: :cool:

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 07:01:01 pm »
Sorry for totally interrupting Follow the Bloom with our "class reunion", everyone.  Carry on!   :grin:

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2021, 11:32:31 am »
My lawn is covered in these white cotton ball looking flowers.  I think they call it snow. :tongue: :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 04:49:57 pm »

* 20210123_114812~2_resize_44.jpg (193.17 kB, 380x506 - viewed 0 times.)

I have this same strand of camelia that you have pictured Bob and I have the same good results as you. My Bees love em!! I do not know if nectar is also an asset with this red strand?

.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:03:17 pm by Ben Framed »

anything