Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Don?t you love it when a plan comes together  (Read 967 times)

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
Don?t you love it when a plan comes together
« on: March 06, 2024, 08:49:56 pm »
Hi folks,

About 10 or so years ago I had a bright idea. (Well I thought it was at the time) My thinking was to plant a few gum trees that produce nectar in the late summer and early autumn to provide the bees with a pick and perhaps enough nectar to add to their winter stores. The tree that I chose was a bloodwood. It flowers every year at this time and often produces a surplus if there are enough trees within flying distance of the hives. Unfortunately, the nearest bloodwood tree is about 5km from my hives and there is very little chance that the bees would cover that distance to bring home nectar. I decided to gather a few pods, collect some seed and was pleasantly surprised that the seeds germinated a few weeks later. After potting them out for a few months, they were finally planted out and allowed to grow.  Four of them survived the bushfires of 2019 and started to grow reasonably well in the poor soil that they were planted in. About a week ago I noticed the first bud on one of the trees which is now about 20 feet high. This is something that I?ve been waiting for for a long time. Hopefully in years to come all of  the trees will begin to form blossoms and give the bees something to look forward to.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Re: Don?t you love it when a plan comes together
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 10:03:54 pm »
That's awesome Les. Always great having more trees and plants around in general especially if they help our girls
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 07:36:46 am »
Back in the 1800s Dadant realized how valuable the Basswood trees were to beekeeping. They provided a very good flow, provided good protection for the hives and provided the wood needed to make the hives.
He planted trees in rows and planted a lot of them. At some point he started harvesting them to make hives as well as continuing to plant more trees. I?m pretty sure that this was why his company became so productive and is still around today.
If you have the land you might want to continue to plant trees but I recommend that you plant a variety of trees.
Some time in the past there was a Basswood disease/bug that pretty much wiped them out. Hence the variety recommendation.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 08:03:08 am »
About a week ago I noticed the first bud on one of the trees which is now about 20 feet high. This is something that I?ve been waiting for for a long time. Hopefully in years to come all of  the trees will begin to form blossoms and give the bees something to look forward to.

Congratulations Les!

Phillip

Good story in Reply 2 Jim, thanks for posting.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 10:47:19 am »
That is so great, Les!  Sounds like that nectar is going to be worth the wait!  :happy:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 05:06:14 pm »
I?ve often thought that if I had a large area of land, I would plant a variety of tree types to provide nectar and pollen during every season of the year. The trees that I did plant are actually on the outside of my boundary and well away from the road.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 12:07:31 am »
I have wanted to plant a lot of trees on my property especially fruit trees. Problem is if the trees aren?t inside of our fenced in yard, my cows eat them or if they are not edible they break them. Judy planted a maple tree in the pasture where the horses graze. First the donkey started using it to scratch his belly. I sold that donkey and now my horse uses it to scratch her belly. The tree is at least 8? tall but it is easy to bend over.
I planted 3 cypress trees in my pond, my bull would treat them as battering rams.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 04:34:00 am »
It sounds like you have savag beasts on your property Jim. We occasionally have problems with buck kangaroos fighting and knocking young trees over. They can be a pain at times.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 06:36:08 am »
I planted some tulip poplars 25 years ago.  They still haven't bloomed.  I planted some lindens (basswood) about 12 years ago and they've been blooming for several years now.  I planted some cottenwoods about 12 years ago and they are almost 30 feet tall now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 08:11:02 am »
Michael,
Do Cottonwoods provide a lot of nectar and pollen? I did not think about planting them. My first year here in Florida I needed firewood to heat the house before the power was turned on. I found a massive cotton wood tree cut down in someone?s yard. It was only 17 years old but it was massive, I think it was 70 feet tall. Made lots of firewood. I?m not sure if the cows would eat it.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Terri Yaki

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 08:56:19 am »
Tulip poplars are pretty prevalent around here and I have a yuuuuuge one in my front yard. They do keep coming up in these discussions so I take it that they're good for bees? It may sound strange but I never looked at it for flowers but I do get strays germinating all over my yard so I suppose it's reproducing.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 09:00:15 am »
>Do Cottonwoods provide a lot of nectar and pollen?

They don't make any nectar that I know of, but they provide pollen and propolis.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything