BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > NATURAL & ORGANIC BEEKEEPING METHODS

Bee keeping for dummies makes all natural sound impossible

(1/4) > >>

Simondsrach:
When I first decided that I wanted to keep bees I knew I wanted to do it all natural.   This planet is one big organic balance and I feel it is  important to honor that balance despite what the rest are doing.    So I decided to read bee keeping for dummies because I don't really know much about bee keeping.   I know bees are amazing and fascinating and essential to life   But how to be a keeper ... I'm clueless.   the book makes feeding and medication sound necessary... even just as a preventative.  So How can I raise an all natural colony without stepping on the toes of mother earths balance...   
     Do u make syrup from organic sugar cane... my medicine cabinet is essential always and herbs ... can I treat my bees with these.   I don't need any detailed answers Just a little reassurance I can do this ... I don't mind work or research

herbhome:
Simon,

For starters, you need to source your bees from a beekeeper that is already raising treatment free or at least E.O. as needed.

There is very little "natural" about housing bees in a manmade hive.

I started with Russians and VSH Italians. The Italians are not around anymore but the Russians have made it through their second winter. I recommend getting purebred Russian stock if you can. In the end, all honey bees on this continent are hybrids but I see that as a decidedly good thing.

little john:

--- Quote ---When I first decided that I wanted to keep bees I knew I wanted to do it all natural. ... Just a little reassurance I can do this ... I don't mind work or research
--- End quote ---

I hate to be the one to burst an idealistic bubble - but the keeping of bees is NOT natural, it never has been - so no, in an absolute sense you can never keep bees naturally.

What you CAN DO is to go some way towards accomodating the bees' natural behaviour - such as running a hive foundationless for example, rather than using man-made foundation.  What this means is that the bees then decide for themselves what size of cells they will create when building their combs - after all, it is those combs which actually constitute the bees' home, rather than the hive itself. That's just a box which houses the combs, and within reason, the bees will adjust to living within any old box.

With regard to treatments, there's a growing number of beekeepers who have adopted a totally treatment-free philosophy.  Then, at the other end of the spectrum, there are beekeepers who rely upon a chemical solution for just about very possible ailment - real or imagined. And then there is a third group (which is where I'm located) who don't treat bees for diseases, but do 'treat' (as in 'kill') their parasites such as Varroa mites and Small Hive Beetles.   

I'm not a great one for handing-out advice, but you could do a lot worse than reign-in your idealism for a short time, and just get on with the keeping of bees in whatever style is available to you - while you learn the basics. Then, once you have a season or two under your belt, you'll be in a much better position to make an informed judgement about which style of beekeeping is 'for you'.

It's a great hobby, totally addictive, and although the bees will never become cuddly pets, it's almost certain that you'll become extremely fond and protective of these amazing little creatures.  Most of us do.
LJ

cao:
You can do this.  The definition of all natural is open for debate.  Like little john said, keeping bees in a box is not natural.  The key is to find what you are comfortable with.  I started with 3 nucs 4 years ago.  At present I have 21 hives alive.  I do not treat my hives.  About half have screen bottom boards with oil trays to get rid of small hive beetles.  I do feed my hives sugar water or sugar bricks when they need it.  I also feed pollen substitute when necessary.  Most of the time my job is to let the bees be bees.  Books are a nice source of information but as they say bees don't read.  In my opinion the best beekeeper learns from the bees and gives them what they need.  Good luck and remember to have fun with your bees.

gww:
cao
Did you make any honey during the four years or just bees.  I am sorta at a cross roads.  I have three hives now.  I want honey but also want increase.  I want the increase cause I am not treating and I figure if I split off some bees, then if the mites catch up to me I will still have a few bees to move forward with.  I want honey cause I want something to show for my work.

Just curious of your last four year experiance.
Cheers
gww

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version